Breed identification

GWilson123

Location (City and/or State)
Holmfirth
Hi,

We are soon to inherit a tortoise from an elderly relative and wanting help identifying what breed it is. Joey has been in the family 50+ years, lives in the garden during summertime and is hardy.

Thanks
Georgina

Attachments

• IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0354.jpeg
    IMG_0354.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0333.jpeg
    IMG_0333.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1869.jpeg
    IMG_1869.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1868.jpeg
    IMG_1868.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0332.jpeg
    IMG_0332.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. "Breed" denotes a type of domesticated animal, like poodle or Great Dane, which are both the same species. Canis familiaris.. Reptiles have not been domesticated and are still denoted by species. This one looks like Testudo hermani. Comparing this tortoise species to another tortoise species would be like comparing a dog and a cat. Both are carnivores with four legs, claws, and fur, but they are two different species. In the same way, a Herman's tortoise is similar in some ways to a Horsefield's tortoise, but they are different species like the dog and the cat.

Here is the care info. I leave this here because there is a lot of incorrect, old, outdated care info in the world. If your routine has worked for 50 years, you probably don't need to make any drastic changes, but its good info to have an understand none the less.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi,

We are soon to inherit a tortoise from an elderly relative and wanting help identifying what breed it is. Joey has been in the family 50+ years, lives in the garden during summertime and is hardy.

Thanks
Georgina
fyi...dogs come in breeds...turtles/tortoises come in species...I'm guessing that tort is a greek species...but I really am only guessing...an expert will be by soon and help you out...welcome and how much fun you are about to have!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to you and the fabulous looking tortoise, Joey! Lovely photos. Please post a picture of the plastron, that is, the under shell, so we can tell if Joey is a boy? May be female.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
fyi...dogs come in breeds...turtles/tortoises come in species...I'm guessing that tort is a greek species...but I really am only guessing...an expert will be by soon and help you out...welcome and how much fun you are about to have!
I thought Greek too... we'll soon know for sure! Any ideas, @TeamZissou

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I'd have to see the underside of the tortoise to know if it's a Greek or a Hermanns. But I'm moving the thread to the Hermanns section until someone who knows better lets us know for sure. @TeamZissou