Breeders in/near Buffalo, New York?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pzowt

5 Year Member
Are there any tortoise breeders or suppliers in or around buffalo, new york??
I'm looking to get a leopard tortoise (preferably pardalis pardalis, but pardalis babcocki isn't bad either lol [which would you prefer for the northern states??])

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I am in Mass and have both and they are great here as long as you set them up right as far as a breeder in NY I do not know of any but there are a few great members in CA,AZ that have them :cool:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I doubt that you're going to have much sucess finding a true breeder of Leopard tortoises in New York State. It's simply not a climate condusive to breeding African species. I live in New York State, have been involved in the tortoise/turtle hobby for nearly 30 years and don't know of any Leopard tortoise breeders in the state. There was a guy at one time that lived north of Syracuse that had limited sucess with producing Leopard tortoise hatchlings from his pair. I have seen him here on TFO once in a while, but not for quite some time. I don't recall what his TFO handle is but his name is Ed Mahar.

Most of the northeast isn't the best of climates for Central & South African species of tortoises, especially since they are a large animal as adults.

For better information check out: www.africantortoise.com

Status
Not open for further replies.