BREEDING DANGERS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Three times now, over the last few days, one of my females has been clamping down her shell on the male's rear foot, and won't let go even after breeding. I found my male struggling to escape with a foot caught, and had to tap the female in the nose to release him. He didn't use that leg for two days, and I was worried that he could lose that foot, rendering him useless for breeding. After a long warm soak today, he seems fine, no swelling, though obviously a little sore. Has anyone seen this happen? Do you think that my male is in danger? Today, I saw a different female do the same to my other male.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's the fact of life for breeding box turtles. The male hangs onto the female with his back toes - inside the shell. If he's not lucky enough to get his feet out in a timely manner, she holds on tightly. Having his feet in there sort of protects his other man parts from being hurt. At the end of copulation, he usually tips over on his back and they sometimes stay in that position, with the female dragging the male around the habitat.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
oh yeah ive seen one of my girls drag him around for a while but if i notice it i usually do as you said and just tap her on the nose which allows him his freedom : ) it could be worse we all could be breeding and maintaing praying mantis's we all know what happens to 90% of all the slow males in that session :(

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
the males gotta endure some pain!...imagine pushing out those eggs!!....now if only there was something for the human species of male!!..haha..lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you try to intervene, like tapping the female, it may end up making her clamp down harder. Its best to just let it happen. She'll let go eventually.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I just thought I would mention. My original male ebt Nutty had only on foot and most of the leg that was missing it's foot was also gone just above the knee. He was the parent of several cloches. Though he was missing them when he found us he had been long healed.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
That has to be rough for the male, but I guess thats a risk they are willing to take..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Good thing the human species does not have that danger, we might have died out by now.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
This thread is great:D

I lifted the lid to my Eastern Boxes hide and two females clamped out on my males. Both males were looking at me with frustration in there little red fiery eyes.

Its just a natural occurence amoung Box Turtles for sure.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
Recently my male mounted my female and while he was biting at her she clamped down on his bottom jaw and held tight. About a half hour later she let go. I left them alone because I didn't really know what else to do. It was pretty scary though.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
LOL us boys ill tell ya : ) look at all the pain we have to go through...

like pushing out a clutch or two is really all that bad : )!!!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
turtlemann2 said:

HAHAHA.....cracking up!!:p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
jojodesca said:
turtlemann2 said:

HAHAHA.....cracking up!!:p

Yeah....well try pushing something the size of a watermelon through a hole the size of a lemon. Hurts huh?? I'd love to see one of you guys give birth. Ha!! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile....She finally let go after 20 min.
012-45.jpg

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Older males often have large, fat back feet. I've wondered if they build up callouses to help them handle the conditions of breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.