Breeding leopard

Kelly1438

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi ! I have 2 leopard torts. Got them 15 years ago as hatchlings…. They lived together for about 10…. Then I moved from AZ to TX …. Once they big enough I brought them to Texas….. I kept my male and a friend had my female …. About 3 years ago We breed them once all went well…. No eggs tho …. I recently brought her home and my male and female just fight / flip and then She mounted him a few times when he was over fighting her and wanted to eat lol ( hilarious her little whisper of a grunt nothing like when he was doing the deed)separate to sleep lol…. We kept them both separate for about 2 weeks so she could get settled into
Her new digs…. but now it’s constant shell ramming and flipping…. I separate them a lot because of the heat here in Texas has been the worst summer since I moved here 10 years ago…. And she showed heat stroke symptoms one day….

She is also smaller then him…. But very aggressive with him ….

when she lived with my friend she fell in love with the breed and got 4 more all younger ranging in size from a hockey puck to soft ball….. not sure that matters but wanted to include that info

Is this constant battle normal should limit their interactions daily?

Thanks! 99D4D50F-77EC-4D57-A8FA-DF50A936099E.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They need to always have their own separate yards. The only time she'll stop telling him to get out of her yard is when she's receptive to be bred. Separate them then once a week, on a day when you're home to keep an eye on them, put them together. Then back each to they're own yard.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
How sure are you that you have a pair? Could it be 2 males?

Why do you think that one of them had a heat stroke? Do they not have access to shade and a water source to cool down?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Males are usually smaller then the female. Post a pic if their underside tail area.
Them fighting is not funny, its very dangerous and stressful. Can cause illness and death. Keep them in their own area like Yvonne posted.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Yes this is very stressful for the individuals! Poor little guys are not having fun at all.