breeding (maybe in five years)

tortoishell

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, USA
I just wanted to ask this question(s) before i forget.
I'm not planning on doing this anytime soon, but I've been wondering about the benefits of buying a female (again, not anytime soon). I've read that RTs in particular are aggressive suitors. When I do decide to try to breed them, how do I avoid the female getting hurt? I already have a russian tortoise male, and he's very friendly towards people. I know this can change towards females, however, so...
What are your thoughts about this?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians of both genders can be very aggressive to others.

If you plan on having more than one, you have to assume that they will live entirely separately and be introduced to each other only to mate before being separated again.

Groups of 3 or more torts (1 male and 2 or more females) of a similar size may cohabit successfully in a very large (more than 8'x4' per tortoise) outdoor enclosure with plenty of sight barriers, but there are no guarantees. So only get more Russians if you can house each one separately!

In any case, any new tort must always be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months so you can be reasonably sure that neither will make the other sick.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
there's no if the Russian male become aggressive he will become aggressive a week a month a year it'll happen. My Russians are kept separate is the easiest way to handle it, I don't have to worry about fighting, ever!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think they'd have to be kept in separate enclosures so as to avoid bullying.