Chaco Tortoise Breeding

lindafrew

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Hi. I live in Tucson, AZ. I have had a pair of Chacos for about 12 years, both quite happy and healthy in the Tucson desert environment. I can confirm I have one of each gender. I see a lot of breeding activity, but have never seen the female digging a nest. The articles I've read say that breeding occurs during November and December, but mine are going at it right now. Are they serious about making babies or not? I have never noticed the breeding occurring at any particular time of year, least on all during Nov. and Dec. as they are usually inside. How soon after a successful breeding, could I expect to see the female laying eggs? Where do they like to lay, soft sand, or what? They seem to have a very long incubation period and I've seen a number of recommendations as to varying temperatures, incubators, etc. Are the chances of getting live offspring from Chacos very low? Seems kind of discouraging. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Linda

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm geographically ignorant. Is their South American home range in the same hemisphere as you? If not, then the Nov./ Dec. breeding dates probably don't apply.

Reactions: Tom

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hi. I live in Tucson, AZ. I have had a pair of Chacos for about 12 years, both quite happy and healthy in the Tucson desert environment. I can confirm I have one of each gender. I see a lot of breeding activity, but have never seen the female digging a nest. The articles I've read say that breeding occurs during November and December, but mine are going at it right now. Are they serious about making babies or not? I have never noticed the breeding occurring at any particular time of year, least on all during Nov. and Dec. as they are usually inside. How soon after a successful breeding, could I expect to see the female laying eggs? Where do they like to lay, soft sand, or what? They seem to have a very long incubation period and I've seen a number of recommendations as to varying temperatures, incubators, etc. Are the chances of getting live offspring from Chacos very low? Seems kind of discouraging. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Linda
Sent you a pm.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Linda,

Breeding is in spring and egg laying summer to fall. In the northern hemisphere breeding is likely starting April to May and nesting in early summer (e.g. any day now). The article you found is based on being in the Southern Hemisphere. The females will lay 1-4 large eggs at a time, every 5 weeks ish. Typically 3-5 clutches a year. If you are worried about missing nests I would recommend weighing your female every few days and if she suddenly loses a lot of weight you will know she’s laid somewhere. They will generally lay in sandy soil, and often in a different spot each time.

As far as I know, all of the breeders in AZ leave the eggs in the ground (most are near phoenix). Folks on the east coast have no choice but to incubate artificially. The eggs usually require diapause and seem to benefit from a temperature cycle (different temps night and day). I would not say the chances are very low, you have high odds of success if you can find the eggs when laid and either incubate them properly or protect/monitor the nest. In the ground they will not hatch until next spring/summer, 9-12 months, but if you incubate artificially they will take 7-9 months typically.

I’m sending you a PM as well.

Steve

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Others will help with your question. No one has mentioned the dangers of keeping a pair together. The male can and will pester and try to breed the female to illness or death. This could possibly be the reason you see no actual egg laying. The female could be under too much stress with the male around 24/7. Better to jeep them seperate and put them together under supervision for breeding only and then seperate. Just an FYI in case you didn't know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Others will help with your question. No one has mentioned the dangers of keeping a pair together. The male can and will pester and try to breed the female to illness or death. This could possibly be the reason you see no actual egg laying. The female could be under too much stress with the male around 24/7. Better to jeep them seperate and put them together under supervision for breeding only and then seperate. Just an FYI in case you didn't know.
Yes! Thank you.