Breeding no results

Flanman

Location (City and/or State)
Fishers Indiana
First post on the forum in I’m pretty sure 4 months. Basically around 4/5 months ago my male bred my female in their enclosure quite a lot for a period of 1-2 weeks. This also happened 9/10 months ago. I haven’t seen anything like eggs of the sort. I wouldn’t mind eggs and would be quick to grab incubation supplies if I did see them but I’m not sure why the female isn’t doing much in terms of gestation. The breeding period has started up again with my male after the usual 5 month break so I decided to ask here. Maybe they’re different subspecies? I dunno.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She needs exactly the right nesting spot (right to her) or she won't nest. This is hard to provide indoors.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First post on the forum in I’m pretty sure 4 months. Basically around 4/5 months ago my male bred my female in their enclosure quite a lot for a period of 1-2 weeks. This also happened 9/10 months ago. I haven’t seen anything like eggs of the sort. I wouldn’t mind eggs and would be quick to grab incubation supplies if I did see them but I’m not sure why the female isn’t doing much in terms of gestation. The breeding period has started up again with my male after the usual 5 month break so I decided to ask here. Maybe they’re different subspecies? I dunno.
This is also typical of Russians. Many people do everything "right" and never produce eggs or babies. Other people simply throw them together and it happens. Sometimes it just takes a few years for them to get it together and get the job done.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also if you are housing them together then she is likely under a lot of stress which will not help her to lay or her health. Tortoises, specially Russians should not be housed in pairs.
Seperate them into their own enclosure putting them together only for the breeding time under supervision and then seperate.
She also like Yvonne said needs ideal conditions which includes deep enough substrate to properly dig a nest.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
So, as a breeder of RT, I have a few suggestions and pieces of (maybe) valuable info.
1) if the female is under 1000g, she likely is not ready to lay viable eggs.
2) if the male is under 500g, he is likely not mature yet, and is still 'shooting blanks' even if he is going through the motion of mating.
3) don't house them together. If he is constantly breeding her, she won't feel safe and just won't choose to fertilize her eggs. Separate them now, and in the Spring, give him half a day with her. That's all that is needed IF he is fertile.
4) she needs deep laying substrate, elevated humidity and temps. I can induce nesting behavior by slightly lowering the basking light, misting the enclosure more often ('rain') and putting a few extra inches of moist coconut coir substrate. It needs to be deep enough that she can dig a hole with her back feet that doesn't touch the bottom of the habitat.
5) tortoise health and supplements. You need to be confident that your female is in prime health. Has been with you for at least a full year, free of parasites, has been eating good nutrient rich weeds and greens, and has strong legs she walks tall on. Plenty of calcium (put cuttlefish bone in her enclosure). My females have eaten entire cuttlefish bones while gravid.

If you plan to breed, already get the incubator etc. And read up on incubation temps and method, as well as hatchling care. It takes a few days for the incubator's temps to normalize. Plus keep in mind that shipping may take a while.