Broken shell

mcmarti

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Hello all. Our Sulcata recently got out of her enclosure and yard and went on an adventure. When we found her, her shell was broken. She seems well enough though with good appetite and no mobility issues. Any suggestions on how to treat the shell? 20220628_115528.jpg20220628_115533.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G can help.
It looks like it might have been run over and his shell was damaged or a dog or another animal got to him
The dirt does need to be cleaned out, kept clean and flies kept out of it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow. Need to keep infection away from that one! Experts have been called, I am not one, but I know that Silver Sulfadiazine (Silvadene) which needs a prescription, and Neosporin (without the pain killer) are both good antibiotic creams to use on reptiles. Maybe this needs more than that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks to me as if it was bumped by a car and made airborne, then landed hard and skidded on it's carapace. I've never had occasion to use it, but I've heard good things about the healing powers of silver sulfadene cream. See if you can get either a prescription from your vet or if he'll sell you some. I would worry about internal damage.

Soaking in warmish water always makes them feel better.

As was already said, keep flies off it so they can't lay eggs on the wound (eggs=maggots in just a day).

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Get vet advise/ expertise but this needs clean up and a continuous layer of antiseptic cream cleaned daily to avoid maggots. Poor guy had has had a bad outing GOOD LUCK 🍀🐢

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
The shell is part of their skeletal system, and very much attached and 'live'. The fact that behaviour is normal, and that the tort is eating, is encouraging, but definitely follow advice here as to treatment and after-care. Glad you got it back, to be honest, and that there wasn't worse damage. Good luck, please keep us posted, eh?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Everything above but just wondering if you can cover the wound with a bandage maybe made of a sterile gauze and tape while outside with the bugs. and of course times for airing out and uv inside. Too and above all a bit of cleanliness like for an open wound. Just a thought. Listen to the experts here though. I'm not one. Sorry to have to welcome you under these circumstances but welcome and I'll be hoping and praying for a great outcome. 🤗

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, covering traps impurities and germs inside. Best to leave it open

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Looks to me as if it was bumped by a car and made airborne, then landed hard and skidded on it's carapace. I've never had occasion to use it, but I've heard good things about the healing powers of silver sulfadene cream. See if you can get either a prescription from your vet or if he'll sell you some. I would worry about internal damage.

Soaking in warmish water always makes them feel better.

As was already said, keep flies off it so they can't lay eggs on the wound (eggs=maggots in just a day).
And maggots equals toxins.