Brooder clamp light base/Coconut coir question

AnimalLady

So I ended up at Lowes, I personally prefer Home Depot but they didn't have the right cinder blocks.. anywho!

I got this http://www.lowes.com/pd_203219-1373-FL-302NPDQ8_1z0vgb1__?productId=3122295&pl=1

Is it okay? Also, the base says that it is porcelain, not ceramic and buddy that was helping said it was the same thing. ANOTHER thing, the aluminum part is kinda... flimsy-ish. Like if I wanted to I could bend and mold it to any shape I want, is this normal?

Coconut coir, I bought 3 bricks of this stuff. Messing around with it, I have no idea what possessed me to do this. I should have just stuck with my topsoil... fml this crap is messy!
Can I use this outdoors? I want to mix it with the topsoil for the new baby coming tomorrow. Is it suitable for outdoors? Rain and such? OR do I need to go buy more topsoil?

Help!! Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The light fixture is perfect. Don't use the clamp, they always fail. Hang it from over head. Also remove the metal guard thingy. Yes, the domes are flimsy. Try not to bend or dent them.

I would not use top soil for any species or age. There is no way to know what is in it and it could be toxic stuff.

The coir works great, but you have to hand pack it down thoroughly and after about two weeks it settles in nicely and becomes a lot less messy.

What species is the new baby?

AnimalLady

No topsoil? Don't tell me this. Just don't do it! Mac has been living in it since I got him!!!

The new baby will be a Cherry head! A gorgeous cherry head coming from JD! :)

So the coconut is good outdoors?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No topsoil? Don't tell me this. Just don't do it! Mac has been living in it since I got him!!!

The new baby will be a Cherry head! A gorgeous cherry head coming from JD! :)

So the coconut is good outdoors?

Coco coir is good anywhere. I don't do RFs so I can't tell you what substrate is best for them. If I was to attempt keeping them again I would use orchid bark because it can be kept damp in the lower layers, which is good for humidity, but still dry on top, which is good for preventing shell rot in a CH or RF.

Congrats on the new baby. I would ask JD what substrate to use.

AnimalLady

Coco coir is good anywhere. I don't do RFs so I can't tell you what substrate is best for them. If I was to attempt keeping them again I would use orchid bark because it can be kept damp in the lower layers, which is good for humidity, but still dry on top, which is good for preventing shell rot in a CH or RF.

Congrats on the new baby. I would ask JD what substrate to use.

I'm going to do just that. I have some of that sphagnum moss that I wanted to use too.

Thanks Tom! ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it harmful if they eat it? I assume so

If they eat enough I'd be worried about impaction. Its not really a food, so I don't want them eating it. I don't know how people use it without their tortoises eating it. I've tried it many times in different ways with different species and I've had no luck with it. Don't know what I'm doing differently.

AnimalLady

I only got it to stuff in his hide to make it extra humid in there.. but the piece of plywood that I have is working really well creating more humidity, so maybe i'll just re-stuff my orchids with it lol

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I use those domes and they work just fine, even with high wattage hot hot hot bulbs that I use to toast my bearded dragon. I actually punched extra holes in the hood and wired it to the top of my tank so I could open and close the lid without having ot remove it. It also prevents the other pets from knocking/pulling it down.

I'm with Tom, I never trust the spring clamps. We nail/staple/screw/whatnot the clamp to keep it in place or just avoid using them all together.

AnimalLady

I use those domes and they work just fine, even with high wattage hot hot hot bulbs that I use to toast my bearded dragon. I actually punched extra holes in the hood and wired it to the top of my tank so I could open and close the lid without having ot remove it. It also prevents the other pets from knocking/pulling it down.

I'm with Tom, I never trust the spring clamps. We nail/staple/screw/whatnot the clamp to keep it in place or just avoid using them all together.

I like that idea, the other pets would be my kids in this case lol.
I have a Rubbermaid tub though, i dont think itll work in my case.