Brumation inspection

innocent

Location (City and/or State)
Acton, Ca
I thought I would share about me checking on the Desert Tortoises I am caretaker of. Since joining this forum recently and reading and following the info going on here I have learned it is usually not best practises to allow tortoises to brumate outside.
I had fairly recently built two burrows for two adult Desert Tortoises that I have had for years. They used to be housed together but were showing signs of bullying and accidental breeding occurred so i separated them into their own areas where they can be alone. I did this before coming to this forum and built the burrows per one of the Arizona State Tortoise Information plans. I put a lot of thought, effort and some money into making them safe and dry and something that will last. The burrows are 8' feet long and wide enough for the tortoises with room to grow more and a L shape at the end to turn around. I dug about 18" underground (the ground is too hard to dig more here without a jack hammer) where the bottom of the chamber sits and buried them with 3' foot of dirt which tapers down towards the entrance which is a few inches above the grade line to prevent flooding.
I didn't start taking temperature measurements till this year after learning that temperature during brumation should stay at 50f. I used to not check on them during brumation and also did not cover the entrance of their burrows with dirt but saw some tricks on older threads here that gave me the idea. This year I have temp gunned the tortoise burrows on the coldest nights and warmest days. I have checked on them after all large down pours being more aware they need to be supervised more closely and not just forgotten about till they wake up. All my temp readings have been within one degree of 50f every time I checked, I truly am surprised by this I didn't think it could have stayed so consistent. It has stayed completely dry also.
One day I saw the front entrance on a burrow collapsed a small hole and I immediately looked in to make sure no critters were in the causing harm. I am so glad I started putting dirt in the entrances, I just peek at the burrows every day or two and have a good idea the tortoises remane safe inside if the dirt is unmolested. I think it may help with the temperature regulation also.
Since it is halfway through brumation I am trying to come up with a plan for next year. If I do start putting the torts in the fridge next year I will need to change the burrows. One big drawback to how they are now is I would have to dig up the burrow top and remove the lid to get the torts out. This is only after they start brumating because they come out when I bang a stick on the wood of the entrance, I do this every time I feed them or call them out for weekly soaking (this is of course if they are able to and not incapacitated).I would need a burrow where I can easily access the torts and remove them easily to do the fridge method. I have been thinking hard about next years brumation. I must decide if the current way is good enough for these torts to thrive. I live in Natural Desert Tortoise range so the weather is proper. Any comments or advice is appreciated and thanks for reading. Happy New Year fellow tort lovers.

Attachments

• 20221231_152903.jpg
    20221231_152903.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221231_152958.jpg
    20221231_152958.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221231_153325.jpg
    20221231_153325.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had a big underground shelter with an access hatch and heat. The pics were lost years ago when tinypic.com shut down, but just yesterday I found my drawing that I made of what I planned to do before I didi it. This could work for a DT here. The sides rotted and began to cave in after about 7 years, so if I ever do it again, I will use 1/2 expanded PVC sheets instead of plywood. I'll see if I can find pics on my old computer.

The insulated double hatches, and the electrical conduit it running down the side and then coming back up made it work. In practice, the entrance tunnel was much longer and at a more shallow angle. I did this one for sulcatas and kept it heated all the time except summer, and I did a similar un-heated one for Argentine tegus that brumated every year.
IMG_8357.jpg

innocent

Acton, Ca
I love the idea of hatches for easy removal. The biggest con of the existing burrows is the inability to easily access the torts for whatever unforseen reason. I guess the big negative to brumating underground is it may get to cold? I am kinda scared of the burrows warming up with a heat snap is that not as big of a deal? I have a electrical source very close so adding power for whatever reason is fairly simple. Any way I like that burrow plan and if I can avoid buying a fridge and doing the whole process for that it makes my life easier. I am glad I learned about not feeding food before they brumated. The torts gave signs of appetite loss mid October and I stopped feeding and it worked out great.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love the idea of hatches for easy removal. The biggest con of the existing burrows is the inability to easily access the torts for whatever unforseen reason. I guess the big negative to brumating underground is it may get to cold? I am kinda scared of the burrows warming up with a heat snap is that not as big of a deal? I have a electrical source very close so adding power for whatever reason is fairly simple. Any way I like that burrow plan and if I can avoid buying a fridge and doing the whole process for that it makes my life easier. I am glad I learned about not feeding food before they brumated. The torts gave signs of appetite loss mid October and I stopped feeding and it worked out great.
Ground temps just a couple of feet down are very stable. 80 in summer, 50 in winter, and about a 6 week transition between the two. Done correctly it works wonderfully.

Here are the potential problems with a burrow:
1. Flood.
2. Collapse.
3. In correct temperatures.
4. No access to the tortoise.
5. Rodents and other predators.

Solutions to each of these problems with my build:
1. Build the covered burrow entrance facing downhill. Rain rolls off and continues down hill and the underground chamber stays totally dry.
2. Solid reinforced construction. It can't collapse.
3. Heat sources on thermostat when needed. Probably not needed at all for a DT, but might be useful when preparing for brumation or coming out of brumation. We always have that cold spell mid may, and it would be nice to be able to heat your tortoise after he's been up and eating. I'm just south of you in SCV, so your climate is familiar to me.
4. Access hatches.
5. You can build a latchable door for night time and winter.

I made this one for Russians. It almost at the surface, so not nearly as temperature stable as the deeper ones:
IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2368.JPG
IMG_2943.JPG
IMG_2407.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2407.JPG
    IMG_2407.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

innocent

Acton, Ca
Ground temps just a couple of feet down are very stable. 80 in summer, 50 in winter, and about a 6 week transition between the two. Done correctly it works wonderfully.

Here are the potential problems with a burrow:
1. Flood.
2. Collapse.
3. In correct temperatures.
4. No access to the tortoise.
5. Rodents and other predators.

Solutions to each of these problems with my build:
1. Build the covered burrow entrance facing downhill. Rain rolls off and continues down hill and the underground chamber stays totally dry.
2. Solid reinforced construction. It can't collapse.
3. Heat sources on thermostat when needed. Probably not needed at all for a DT, but might be useful when preparing for brumation or coming out of brumation. We always have that cold spell mid may, and it would be nice to be able to heat your tortoise after he's been up and eating. I'm just south of you in SCV, so your climate is familiar to me.
4. Access hatches.
5. You can build a latchable door for night time and winter.

I made this one for Russians. It almost at the surface, so not nearly as temperature stable as the deeper ones:
View attachment 353037

View attachment 353036

View attachment 353035
View attachment 353034
View attachment 353039
I never saw this reply for some reason. This looks like a great build , I will consider doing something similar. I will love the convenience of simply opening a hatch as opposed to digging out the burrow entrance and laying in the dirt while shining a flashlight as I use a temp gun weekly to check on the torts.

innocent

Acton, Ca
I did a check on the DT's today and Toc the male was sitting at the front of the burrow. I had put a dirt cap to exclude any inclement weather and rodents from bugging the torts during brumation. When I dug in to check I had a sleepy but a awoken tort staring back.
It has been very cold at night here, near freezing but pretty nice during the day. It was pouring rain yesterday and last night so I thought the torts were not gonna be ready to wake up yet. Tic always does wake up earlier then Toc though.
After removing the burrow plugs I went out and he had made his way outside to catch some sun.
I think I will not soak yet and make sure he Finds his way back in tonight. I also will put some dirt in front to keep it warm still.
They sure have nice weeds to eat when they wake up. I have made block enclosures to avoid removing weeds for fire clearing. I will also plant some shade shrubs this year for them.

Attachments

• 20230311_110552.jpg
    20230311_110552.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230311_114918.jpg
    20230311_114918.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230311_114425.jpg
    20230311_114425.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4