Brumation vs hybernation?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
My hubby asked me what's the difference between Brumation and hybernation. I told him I believe Brumation is a sort of "hibernation-lite." That the animals may waken and be briefly active during a warm spell. Then I decided to do an Internet search to make sure I had it right. What I found was nothing but controversy- including the opinion that there IS NO difference! Can anybody shed light on this subject?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I thought I read our own ascott state that brumation is reptiles and hibernation is mammals, of which we know is like you told hubby, a deeper sleep, as in bears. Zzzzzzzzzz.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
The term 'brumation' seems have been coined by Mayhew (1965) and described thusly :

"The term brumation is proposed to indicate winter dormancy in ectothermic vertebrates that demonstrate physiological changes which are independent of body temperature."

Contrasted with 'hibernation', as per Ulstch (1989):

"There has been some concern, particularly among physiologists, about using the term ‘hibernation ’ to denote the state of ectotherms during the winter. The argument is that the term should be reserved for the state of controlled torpor typical of ‘true’ mammalian hibernators, with body temperature regulated at a low level at which the animal is torpid, and with arousal characterized by an energetically expensive and relatively rapid increase in body temperature to its normal operative range. Any other pattern, it is argued, is something other than hibernation and should be given another name. In particular, cold ectotherms, although their activity and responsiveness are often greatly reduced, are usually not torpid, their body temperature is close to or at that of their microenvironment, and they do not warm themselves endogenously during arousal."

Having said that, not everyone agrees and I have read the difference described as meaningless jargon.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
... and just today, I read it being referred to as "brumination" ... this sleeping in the winter for a few months is very confusing to a human ... which actually probably secretly wishes she could do the same ... holidays and all, LOL!