Brumation wind down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
In 24 hours we had about a 20-degree temperature drop here in LA, from daily highs in the low triple digits to the low 80s. My two DTs have suddenly gone from ravenous to mostly uninterested in food. They've also gone from busy and active in the morning to going in their hides after just 10 minutes of sunning. Is this the start of a pre-brumation wind down? If so, is there anything we can/should do to support their wind down? Temps are supposed to rise again this weekend. Are they apt to snap back to their old hungry selves, or once this process starts does it stay underway?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Interesting question.
We have the same weather in my part of so Cal (not too far from you) and my 4 Russians that live outside hardly ate these past cooler days. The girls stayed in their house pretty much all day and only the male did some rounds. I'll be looking at the answers you get ;)

Sent from my TFOapp

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
It's cooled dramatically here in the low desert of Arizona as well. Yesterday and today, it was only in the high 70's and low 80's here. I've learned over the years to watch for lows in the 70's (our high's will still be in the 90's or triple digits through October ) that is when my DT's begin brumation. The DT's seemed excited about the cooler weather today, and were enjoying themselves all day, eating and wandering around their enclosure. When they slow down on their eating, I'll give them a few extra good soaks. Having Desert Tortoises and living in the low desert they've showed me what they do. This year I hope to get them before they go into their burrows to hibernate. I'll have them hibernate in our garage in seperate tubs. I plan to completely remodel their enclosures and build a new one as well, plus get them planted and growing strong (hopefully) before they wake up.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
TigsMom said:
It's cooled dramatically here in the low desert of Arizona as well. Yesterday and today, it was only in the high 70's and low 80's here. I've learned over the years to watch for lows in the 70's (our high's will still be in the 90's or triple digits through October ) that is when my DT's begin brumation. The DT's seemed excited about the cooler weather today, and were enjoying themselves all day, eating and wandering around their enclosure. When they slow down on their eating, I'll give them a few extra good soaks. Having Desert Tortoises and living in the low desert they've showed me what they do. This year I hope to get them before they go into their burrows to hibernate. I'll have them hibernate in our garage in seperate tubs. I plan to completely remodel their enclosures and build a new one as well, plus get them planted and growing strong (hopefully) before they wake up.

Funny that your DTs perked up after the temp change -- mine got mopey. When do your guys usually go down for the season?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
High Desert here...and the temp decrease gets the men folk out and about more here too....business as usual.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We were still in the 90s up here, and all of my torts seemed relieved that the heat wave died down a little. They were all out and very busy all day.

thatrebecca, I'd guess that they will resume activity when the weather warms back up and its not so overcast as it was in some areas today. Its a little too early to start shutting it down for the season just yet. You'll know for sure in a few days. :p

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Tom said:
We were still in the 90s up here, and all of my torts seemed relieved that the heat wave died down a little. They were all out and very busy all day.

thatrebecca, I'd guess that they will resume activity when the weather warms back up and its not so overcast as it was in some areas today. Its a little too early to start shutting it down for the season just yet. You'll know for sure in a few days. :p

Yeah we were overcast down in the city today. Musta been the clouds that slowed them down. They're inside tonight, cause it's damp and hitting low 60s. Hope they perk back up, although they do get into less trouble this way... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.