Brumation?

snb0107

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hello! My leopard is about a year old. I’m the last week, he has slowed down on his eating habits and started to sleep a lot more. Today, he is completely in his shell and I can’t get him out. I soaked him in warm water, no change.

His tank is typically around 90F and the humidity level is ‘desert.’ I purchased a heating pad to put under his tank yesterday thinking this his change in behavior was due to the recent drop in outside temperature.

What might be causing this? I’ve read that leopard tortoises do not go into brumation.
Thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Reactions: Tom

snb0107

North Carolina
Thank you so much for your reply! We made the mistake of listening to the pet store.

I will soak some moss and put that in there tonight.

I found a humidifier online that I can order. Is there anything that I can do currently to help him out?

thank you again!

Greetings.

Leopards don’t brumate & your humidity levels shouldnt be at “desert” conditions.

please quickly take a read here of the TFO @Tom ’s care guide.

➡➡ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181503/

Try to upload some pictures of your enclosure, lighting, how you heat & your tortoise.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you so much for your reply! We made the mistake of listening to the pet store.

I will soak some moss and put that in there tonight.

I found a humidifier online that I can order. Is there anything that I can do currently to help him out?

thank you again!

So. Neither moss or a humidifier are good, nor is the under tank heat pad. You want a fully enclosed enclosure. For substrate many use orchid bark, or coco coir or cypress mulch. You make the substrate nice and wet/moodt to increase humidity. Your enclosure needs a lid.

Read @Tom ‘s guide closely. It has all the info how to set things up.

Today, you should dial in your temps & start soaking daily.

Reactions: Tom

snb0107

North Carolina
I have my list to buy tomorrow. Is there some way to cover the top of the cage until tomorrow? To keep moisture in until I can build a closed habitat? I will have to find a design and someone to help me build a closed habitat.

So. Neither moss or a humidifier are good, nor is the under tank heat pad. You want a fully enclosed enclosure. For substrate many use orchid bark, or coco coir or cypress mulch. You make the substrate nice and wet/moodt to increase humidity. Your enclosure needs a lid.

Read @Tom ‘s guide closely. It has all the info how to set things up.

Today, you should dial in your temps & start soaking daily.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I have my list to buy tomorrow. Is there some way to cover the top of the cage until tomorrow? To keep moisture in until I can build a closed habitat? I will have to find a design and someone to help me build a closed habitat.

Until tomorrow, you could try putting aluminum foil over the top. Or a shower curtain draped over the whole thing? Your lights and heat need to be inside the curtain, too. If you have some wood laying around you could make something like this to use. You hang your lights from the cross bar on top, and drape the shower curtain. Without seeing your enclosure I don't know what is practical.

IMG_1511635956.495114.jpg

Read this. It will explain some options to you re' a closed chamber.

jeannettep

Texas
I use foil to cover mine, but get a temperature gun. They are cheap at the hardware store. I have to adjust periodically how much foil is covering to maintain heat correctly. Soak your tort. Mine is soaked everyday, sometimes 2x a day. She's big enough not to need it, but she likes her soak. Don't make to water too warm or cold. Mine is like a baby bottle temp. @Tom You should consider a youtube tort channel

snb0107

North Carolina
This is how he has been yesterday and today. I have soaked him three times since yesterday morning. This is his enclosure now. I will put aluminum foil on the top until I can find a grow tent or build something better.

Greetings.

Leopards don’t brumate & your humidity levels shouldnt be at “desert” conditions.

please quickly take a read here of the TFO @Tom ’s care guide.

➡➡ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181503/

Try to upload some pictures of your enclosure, lighting, how you heat & your tortoise.
0C5A99AD-2A1F-46DB-86C7-445FCF37E583.jpegCC9D8D95-A88F-4277-B74B-7983F3267F3E.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga