Buckwheat

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Does anyone know about allowing tortoises to graze on buckwheat? I've looked it up online and it says that green buckwheat causes bloat or stomach aches in horses, but that cows can graze on it. But then, cows have more than one stomach. Tortoises don't. I wonder if it would be ok if I planted buckwheat in among the other grasses in my tortoise pastures. Anyone know?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yvonne, I have planted it before and none of the torts were interested....also, it really needs a sandy loam which I don't have here...so I was alot of work and once I stopped the work---they just simply died off and I have not seen any sign of them......I know that did not answer your question, but just thought I would share is all.....

http://www.laspilitas.com/nature-of-california/plants/eriogonum-fasciculatum-foliolosum

This is the species I am referring to.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought a whole pound of buckwheat seeds from a wild life grazing seed place online. Didn't think about if the tortoises could eat it until I saw the package of seeds they sent me. The seeds look exactly like dock seeds. So I worried about planting it if it's going to be a nuisance plant. And then what if they don't eat it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I bought a whole pound of buckwheat seeds from a wild life grazing seed place online. Didn't think about if the tortoises could eat it until I saw the package of seeds they sent me. The seeds look exactly like dock seeds. So I worried about planting it if it's going to be a nuisance plant. And then what if they don't eat it.

What type of buckwheat Yvonne?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It just says, "Buckwheat - organic, common"

leopard777

5 Year Member
I just bought this too, was looking to grow Wheatgrass in the tank, end up got the wrong seeds

Last edited:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Learn something new again today! ! ! !

So wonderful! ! ! ! !

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
oh ok , interesting article i found http://www.townsendletter.com/Dec2004/buckwheat1204.htm , now the question does all the buckwheat cause the same effect , it mention in the article that its buckwheat greens = buckwheat lettuce .

Wow, great sourcing of information.

For the most part it seems like some buckwheat greens in a mixed diet or as a graze would be fine for tortoises, they may not find it palatable at all is also a consideration. For both the cow reference in the Cornell article and the Townsend article regarding human consumption it is apprent both sources say that it must a be a huge portion of the diet over an extended period of time.

Probably nothing worth going out of your way to get or avoid as best as I can tell from these sources.

Cows fed in a barn and people trumping their own diet prefernces do not replicate a tortoise grazing from a variety of items. I feel comfortable the tortoises will choose well when offered a variety of things to graze on.

leopard777

5 Year Member
yes , apparently if could have such effect on humans , i too learn something new , but got to give credits to those who suffer and sharing their experience

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Evidently it causes photo-sensitivity in light-skinned animals. I doubt that would affect tortoises.

But if it did, it could really be a problem. If Dudley is like my guys, he would be spending a lot of time in the sun this winter. On cooler "winter" days, my tortoises sit in their sunning spot for hours on end sometimes.

This thread has been informative. Thanks to Will, Zeno, leopard777 and everyone else for the links and info.

Because of the possible side effects and potential for the tortoises to not even find it palatable, I would rather spend my time, effort and limited resources on something that is more of a "sure thing". I know all my tortoises will eat my pasture mix grasses. If I'm going to try to grow something, why not grow something that I know works and is excellent food, without possible unknown/unknowable side effects? The info presented raises enough of a question for me to just avoid buckwheat, and plant and tend to something else in its stead.

Just my perspective on the issue...

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
But if it did, it could really be a problem. If Dudley is like my guys, he would be spending a lot of time in the sun this winter. On cooler "winter" days, my tortoises sit in their sunning spot for hours on end sometimes.

This thread has been informative. Thanks to Will, Zeno, leopard777 and everyone else for the links and info.

Because of the possible side effects and potential for the tortoises to not even find it palatable, I would rather spend my time, effort and limited resources on something that is more of a "sure thing". I know all my tortoises will eat my pasture mix grasses. If I'm going to try to grow something, why not grow something that I know works and is excellent food, without possible unknown/unknowable side effects? The info presented raises enough of a question for me to just avoid buckwheat, and plant and tend to something else in its stead.

Just my perspective on the issue...
"Absolutetly"