Bug problem!!help!

dannylozano10

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio,tx
Hello guys and gals I have seen in my tortoises substrate little bugs too small for the camera kinda like white mites well I think they are and I was wondering what should I do to kill all of them?(there's a lot of them)They are all in the water bowl and around it they are grey and some are white like chiggers there annoying!! Lol please help me thanks!!

Last edited:

Rue

Canada
Without seeing them...I'll hazard that they're Collembola (or Springtails). Annoying, but won't hurt anything.

You can Google them...read about their lifecycle...

And take a close look...if they're not Collembola, there are a few other insects/mites that they could be, but I'd need a good picture...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
U can take up the substrate and either bake it at around 250 for 3-4 hours or you can boil it. Otherwise your choices is to replace the substrate with new, but bake or boil it before putting it down or live with them. Some members will add roly poly bugs to help with them

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
U can take up the substrate and either bake it at around 250 for 3-4 hours or you can boil it. Otherwise your choices is to replace the substrate with new, but bake or boil it before putting it down or live with them. Some members will add roly poly bugs to help with them
Will the baking idea kill all of them and their eggs?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
See what they are, google the detailed description and find proper pics on the web. Post them and we can take it from there. Bugs in substrate are very common. Some people just learn to live with them and go with bioactive substrate. That's what I'm doing. And loving it! I'm too lazy to bake/freeze substrate. I'd need to do it in several batches bcs I have about 4-6 inches of it covering the floor of 40 gal tank so I can't bother with that. Plus, if after going through all that baking mess I see a bug, I'd be mad and resentful... That would totally ruin my idea of "tranquility in working with the terrarium". One more thing, I think mites like it warm and dry. If you have them your tort is way too dry

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those are harmless substrate flies. They come from the surrounding environment and they are detrivores. They won't bother your tortoise. I just ignore them.

If you really want to get rid of them, you will need to boil, bake, freeze or replace your substrate every two weeks or so. The day you do one of those things, they begin to re-colonize the lovely environment that you've made for your tortoise, so they will keep coming back. There is usually a population surge in the beginning, and then they balance out and are less noticeable.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'd replace the substrate. I change it every now and again regardless of there being bugs/insects etc. or not.

Rue

Canada
Which begs the question...

How often should you change your substrate. ..if you don't have a bio - system.

I have read:

a) every 2 weeks
b) every 4 weeks
c) every 2-3 months
d) every 6 months.

I realize "it depends"...but just in general.

I think I am top of the poop...but it I have no clue as to urine. I keep sniffing...still smells okay.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Thanks guys yes I will just deal with it because if they keep coming back it will be pointless for the boil and baking idea. But it is starting to smell so I might change it anyway!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Which begs the question...

How often should you change your substrate. ..if you don't have a bio - system.

I have read:

a) every 2 weeks
b) every 4 weeks
c) every 2-3 months
d) every 6 months.

I realize "it depends"...but just in general.

I think I am top of the poop...but it I have no clue as to urine. I keep sniffing...still smells okay.

I never change mine. I just spot clean daily.

I only replace the substrate if I am moving one tortoise out and a new one in. Some of my enclosure shave substrate that is three years old in it.

Rue

Canada
I never change mine. I just spot clean daily.

I only replace the substrate if I am moving one tortoise out and a new one in. Some of my enclosure shave substrate that is three years old in it.

For an indoor 'pet' style set-up?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I'm having this same problem too. I was thinking of boiling my substrate but how do you do that? Do you just pour boiling water in his terrarium and wait then dump it out?

I would think you have to have a boiling pot of water that you have to add then remove then add then remove the substrate too.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
You could hunt around and add a family or two of pill bugs. If not eaten by your tort, they will scurry around and eat up the smaller spring tails.