Bugs in tort table

Status
Not open for further replies.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
Have fruit flies in my tort table! Anyone kno anything about handleing them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They won't hurt anything. I got rid of mine by switching to coconut coir. I still have a very small few, however they are more in my house plantsmi have to feed my tort. They are actually almost completely gone now. However, I did notice today, that I have some kind of bug crawling in the substrate. They don't fly and I only seen a couple in the sub. When I was digging in it. Some say to put a small jar with sugar water in it. Cover with plastic. Put tiny holes in lid. Flies get in can't get out. Search bugs in enclosure in the TFO search bar and you will find a lot of threads.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I use wine rather than sugar water - Take a glass, fill it half full with wine (or some fruit juice with a little vodka, whatever you may have on hand) and cover it with plastic wrap. Poke a few small holes in the plastic wrap, and the flies will go in to drink, get drunk and drown ;)

I don't feel that one substrate is worse than the other when it comes to the flies. It isn't the substrate they are after, it is your tortoise's food. Picking up the food as soon as your tort is done eating will help nip them in the bud as well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Kristina said:
I use wine rather than sugar water - Take a glass, fill it half full with wine (or some fruit juice with a little vodka, whatever you may have on hand) and cover it with plastic wrap. Poke a few small holes in the plastic wrap, and the flies will go in to drink, get drunk and drown ;)

I don't feel that one substrate is worse than the other when it comes to the flies. It isn't the substrate they are after, it is your tortoise's food. Picking up the food as soon as your tort is done eating will help nip them in the bud as well.

OOPS I forgot it was wine, I thought it was sugar water, sorry:D. I don't know how I forgot the image I had when I had read your other post. Drunk Bugs:p

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Neeeeeeerrrrruuuuummmmmm SPLASH! Bzzz....Bzzzz....giggle....gurgle....hiccup....squeak! Silence.....

Does that help the imagination at all? :D ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.