Bugs

Jollyrogers

I have searched the site but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I have a cherry rf enclosure. It has been up and running for 5 weeks now.

The enclosure is a vivarium with a coco fibre and bark substrate with moss carpet in places, I have a few wooden hides and a few plants. Temps and humidity are perfect.

We have bugs, little white ones which I presume are snow fleas but we also have tiny black ones.

Does anyone know a link or can provide a guide so we can identify them?

Reptilian Feline

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
Bugguide.net or something has lots of inverts with pictures. Spring tails are usually very nice tank cleaners.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I go to the backyard and find pill bugs (rolly pollies) under my oak tree (leaf pile.) I put about 10 or so in the enclosure. Make sure you clean out the uneaten food also.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Yep your woodlouse is in the same family as the pillbug.

From Wikipedia, Woodlice in the genus Armadillidium and in the family Armadillidae can roll up into an almost perfect sphere as a defensive mechanism, hence some of the common names such as pill bug or roly-poly. Most woodlice, however, cannot do this.

A woodlouse (plural woodlice) is a terrestrial[citation needed] isopod crustacean with a rigid, segmented, long exoskeleton and fourteen jointed limbs. Woodlice mostly feed on dead plant material, and they are usually active at night. Woodlice form the suborder Oniscidea within the order Isopoda, with over 5,000 known species

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
Actually, there are two types of woodlice... the armadillidae that curls up, and the Oniscidea that doesn't curl up.

Sorry, didn't read the previous post before posting :oops:

Jollyrogers

I can get hold of some tropical woodlice but do they only eat plant matter as I was looking at something that will eat the insects

Jollyrogers

20170726_173934.jpg 20170726_173938.jpg Just to post an update. I found these in his food dish. The dish had only been a couple of hours. Any idea what they are?