Bugs

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
My tortoise enclosure has become invades with bugs. Should I move my tortoises indoors until I can have an exterminator fix the problem? Not sure what they are?IMG_1637.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
My tortoise enclosure has become invades with bugs. Should I move my tortoises indoors until I can have an exterminator fix the problem? Not sure what they are?View attachment 358828
Those look like flying ants or possibly termites which are swarming. I don't think they would be any danger to your tortoise. However, if you have an exterminator come, the chemicals they spray or spread around the area could linger for some time and be more of a risk than the bugs themselves.

Has the building you are in been treated for termites? If not, you might want to have that done to avoid possible termite damage (or mention it to the landlord if you are not the building owner). FYI, I had my house in GA treated for termites and my tortoises were totally unaffected by it since all the chemicals used here were "injected" into 12" to 18" deep holes in the ground around the perimeter of my house which included some areas where my tortoises grazed daily.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm with @zovick
They sure look like termites.
If they are, they're probably already done swarming and have gone off to eat other houses, decks and fences.
They probably won't be a nuisance for long and they pose no threat to your tortoises unless, like has been stated, they've been treated. And your tortoise eats them.