Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirick27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I noticed today that there was a tiny little bug running around the topsoil in my torts cage. Is it possible to be 100% bug free? Is this ok/normal. I killed the bug I saw but, should I change out the soil?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
The bugs won't hurt the tortoises. It is nearly impossible to be completely bug free. I wouldn't change the substrate at this point.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I get the stupid nets but they don't bother my hatchling so I am not worried, and my bigger tort has some small ants so unless it get out of control it is not an issue..

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
I just battled with fruit flies for about 3 weeks and finally got them under control. I still see the little 'silver fleas' hanging out on the slate and other spots in Tico's enclosure. They don't seem to bother him at all so I don't worry about them.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Hang a fly catcher near the food, but out of reach of the torts,

You can also try this method, put a piece of fruit in a jar cover the opening with Sellotape sticky side down put a small hole in it, then put a tiny hole in the lid just big enough for the bug to get in, then screw the lid on. the rotting fruit will attract the bugs, once in they can not get out because they stick to the tape,

I have this tried and tested at work, i camouflage the jar with plastic plants.

I know, im a genius waiting to be discovered:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.