Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1371817021.274709.jpg
See those tiny white/metallic bugs on the carrot? Does anyone know what they are??? All my indoor enclosures have them in the mulch and I've seen a few on the torts. I just want to know if they are safe or how to get rid of them :) thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I can't make out the picture.

Could they be spring tails? Google those and see if their description fits. They won't harm the tortoise and you can add pill bugs to your substrate to keep their population in check.
Cleaning out all un eaten food asap also helps.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
By your description of white/metallic, I'd have to agree that they might be springtails. Do they jump? Usually that's an indication of springtails. They aren't harmful, just annoying. I also second the opinion to add worms or pillbugs to cut down the amount. You could change the substrate but it's very likely you'll get them again; the environment that our torts thrive in is also very favorable to them, too.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Either springtails or woodmites. I've tried freezing the substrate a couple times before using it, but they still seem to comeback after awhile. Harmless to the tort but irritating to the keeper

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Here's some better pics... Anyone know forsure what they are?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372865174.180014.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372865187.209808.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cally

5 Year Member
They look like aphids! ( fruit flys) you can make homemade way to get rid of them- heres the steps-
Find a 2 liter and cut it in half-
Fill the bottom part full of apple cider vinegar ( attracts them!) and a drop or 2 of dawn dish soap( makes them sink to the bottom)
take the top half and turn it upside down so the lid and top make a funnel-
Tape the 2 pieces together-
U can take a flashlight and shine it in thro the bottom to see how many u start to catch!
Btw- if they are aphids- or fruit flys they multiply their eggs daily! They will be found in ur plants n soil as well and can kill them...

Cally- Russian Tort <3

lkwagner

5 Year Member
They aren't fruit flys :( I've had problems with those before. These don't fly and look metallic

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I third the idea of using pill bugs, they eat the eggs of mites and flys and the like plus clean up after the tort. And best of all they stay hidden because they like the dark/damp better.

Status
Not open for further replies.