my tortoise has some tiny bugs

ddrew

I just got a russian tortois it has these tiny 1/8 inch long a little wider than a hair dark bugs don't see any on him but put him in white container and they are in bottom.gave him 3 soaks in warm water and after a couple of hours there are more in bottom of container does any one know what they could be and how to get rid of them

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ , USA .i hope I don't make you unhappy but you don't tell us where you are from , give us a Pict of the tort , the enclosure , or the insect . And you want us to guess what the insect is and why it's with your tort . I would love to help you and your tort but without all the info. It's impossible !

pam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Welcome :) please post some pictures that will help a lot :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Drew, and welcome to the forum!

Chances are your bugs are springtails and harmless, just annoying. Its hard to have a moist substrate and not get any bugs in it. You can start all over with clean substrate and a sanitized enclosure, and bake the new substrate before you use it. That will kill any eggs from the bugs.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Welcome!
(I agree with Yvonne:D )
What I did was add pill bugs to my tort table, and it took a few tries, but after a bit the little buggers went away. The pillbugs eat them.... or something... :D
How moist is your substrate? They love moist dirt, so tortoises are a perfect match :(