Builder/tortoise keepers in michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
Are there any tortoise keepers from Michigan on here? Just wanting to know some good spots for food, and hopefully find someone to build me a nice cage for my hatchling sulcata. Thanks!

Casseylane

5 Year Member
I'm from Michigan. We go to the grocery store, purchase online, and sometimes buy mazuri at stingers exotics in Westland area. I wouldn't recommend taking their advice on tortoise husbandry.
As for the enclosure- I have a very handy father and used some designs I found online. It was 1/2 the price to make a table than to buy one- and the quality is better.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Where about in Michigan? Not exact, but approx. There are quite a few. However depends the area you live whether any ones advice would be close enough to make it work for ya. I live in Chicago, but I order my Mazuri from a place in Big Rapids. Kristina, a member lives in Cadillac and also has a place buy her for Mazuri and I'm sure lots of stuff, as she has lots of torts and turts.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
Where about in Michigan? Not exact, but approx. There are quite a few. However depends the area you live whether any ones advice would be close enough to make it work for ya. I live in Chicago, but I order my Mazuri from a place in Big Rapids. Kristina, a member lives in Cadillac and also has a place buy her for Mazuri and I'm sure lots of stuff, as she has lots of torts and turts.

I'm near Grand Rapids, what's the place you order from?

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
I'm just north of Detroit and we too go to the local produce stores or order online. As for enclosures, I also have a handy husband who built a few big sandboxes...but he had an awesome idea today for summertime: Remember those plastic kiddie pools? About 3 feet in diameter and 12" deep? You know they're like $8.99 from Toys R Us? Good luck finding one now, but you never know. My husband is planning on buying a few, filling them with organic soil and seeding it with the seed mixes (from the Tortoise Compound or SulcataFood.com), and cover it with chicken wire and leaving our little ones out there.
Honestly, if we had the room, we'd have using these now, but round is such an inconvenient shape. Don't they realize the market there is for cheap, semi-permanent tortoise-boxes?

2012-11-12_16-44-03_617.jpgJust noticed you have a hatchling, however. Have you read Tom's care sheet on them, in particular their housing? If you haven't, I highly recommend it. I have 4 young torts, three of which were purchased as juveniles or sub-adults and all are pyramided to some degree, likely because all were raised in very dry environments on sand, mulch, or pellets. It's just a theory, but one which, when experimented with, is producing much better results than in the past.
We put together a very inexpensive (minus the $100+ on lights, which we're still not finished with) enclosure that didn't cost more than $40: tupperware from Target and coconut coir from Petco. I get that the new baby will grow fast, but for now, this will work fine. At 3' by 20", it's a good start. I tried to post an image of what we did below...

Tom's care sheet

2012-11-12_16-44-03_617.jpg

Nevermind... Think I just saw your enclosure on the Sulcata forum here. What you did looks like what we did. I'd like to see how our babies look in a year, especially yours to compare with our 2-year old Sulcata. His food, substrate, and humidity were all off in his former home, and it looks like what you're doing is the opposite of what he had.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pooks

5 Year Member
I'm from Michigan as well and was wondering what kind of food I can pick naturally for a marginated tortoise, all I know right now is dandelions.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!

Nevermind... Think I just saw your enclosure on the Sulcata forum here. What you did looks like what we did. I'd like to see how our babies look in a year, especially yours to compare with our 2-year old Sulcata. His food, substrate, and humidity were all off in his former home, and it looks like what you're doing is the opposite of what he had.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've been making a few changes and still have a few I want to make, looking for a closed in cage, but right now she is growing pretty slow

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
If you are ever in the Lansing area, Horrocks is a great produce market. And they even carry cactus

noved32

5 Year Member
I'm from the flint Michigan area, and I would recommend Horrocks also!! They are great!! Nice see all the Michigan people!! :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
So I'm in Oregon, but I don't think this product is local specific. For cheep non circular tubs, check out a local feed/farm/ranch supply store. What we have are rectangular liners for those metal feed troughs you see in livestock pastures. The biggest drawback would be the sides are only about 6" tall and the corners slope pretty badly for our needs. You can get around that by building a picture frame type deal out of 1"x6" boards and laying that on the top edge. This keeps your tortoise in and if covered with hardware cloth, keep bad guys out. Hope this helps.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
kurmaraja12 said:
If you are ever in the Lansing area, Horrocks is a great produce market. And they even carry cactus

Hm alright I'm from grand haven and have never seen one, ill check it out though thanks!

Cowboy_Ken said:
So I'm in Oregon, but I don't think this product is local specific. For cheep non circular tubs, check out a local feed/farm/ranch supply store. What we have are rectangular liners for those metal feed troughs you see in livestock pastures. The biggest drawback would be the sides are only about 6" tall and the corners slope pretty badly for our needs. You can get around that by building a picture frame type deal out of 1"x6" boards and laying that on the top edge. This keeps your tortoise in and if covered with hardware cloth, keep bad guys out. Hope this helps.

Cowboy_Ken said:

Alright cool ill look into it

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
They do have a small lip, but it goes toward the outside, not the inside. I figured this could be used to attach the frame thingy I was mentioning in an early post. I've got to go to this feed store today, I could try and get a picture if you'd like.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
Cowboy_Ken said:
They do have a small lip, but it goes toward the outside, not the inside. I figured this could be used to attach the frame thingy I was mentioning in an early post. I've got to go to this feed store today, I could try and get a picture if you'd like.

That'd be nice, ill look at my local feed shop today also

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Sorry. I was able to get out of going to town today. Friday I do however need to go.
Never do today,
What you can put off and do tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.