Building an outdoor house

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
So it's winter and things are getting cold. granted I live in la and the coldest it gets is around 40F. but that's still too cold for MoMo so I bring him in every night. which is becoming an issue. so I was wondering if there were any solutions to a good outdoor house for him. I only have a 3 by 3 foot space to put the house. and a plug in heat source is out of the question. I was thinking maybe a small doghouse? as for a heating source I have no idea. propane? maybe solar panels? I can build the house but don't have the electrical savvy to install a solar panel. I can learn if anyone knows how.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A couple of my outdoor tortoise houses aren't close to electrical outlets, so I've gone the extension cord route. For the leopard shed, I dug a shallow trench and put down a PVC pipe. Then I fed a heavy gauge extension cord through the pipe from the electrical outlet inside the green house to the inside of the tortoise shed. None of the cord is out to the elements, however, I check it every year to see whether it needs to be exchanged for a new one or not. I'll admit this isn't the best solution, but it has worked fine for the past several years with no problems.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We had to do the extension cord as well. We have no outside outlets in our back yard so we run a outdoor extension cord from the front porch to the back yard. If it gets cold they will need heat if they are outside.

M

Maggie Cummings

Use a rubbermaid deck box, they come in several sizes, some are perfect for tortoises.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I have adapted what was built as a small dog house to use for my tortoise house. It's about 30" x 40". I did add insulation to the bottom, sides,and top of the house. It wasn't difficult at all and I am not a builder. Had to borrow a saw and a drill to do the project. I am using an electric heat source and have run an extension cord as Yvonne has described (through pvc buried in the ground). I did use an extension cord that was described as "outdoor use". That probably means I paid way more than I should have. It is plugged into a GFI plug on the back patio. Also, I have a digital thermometer and in the house and a thermostat for the heater.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
thanks for the PVC idea. is there a heater with a thermostat built in? outlet use is at the bottom of my options. my parents don't want me running power in the backyard.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
with out running power, extension cord you will be out of options to supply heat at night when they need it most. I did the dog house with a extension cord to run a heat lamp inside.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
that's a shame. but thanks guys. i guess ill just have to talk things over with the king and queen. could anyone possibly recommend an inexpensive but pretty good model?

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Laura said:
how big is your guy?
stanfield heat mats work well.
but still need electrical...

He's 8inch long. I was thinking of using solar panels as a source of energy. I don't know if it'd work though. I have to do more reading on it.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Just for the heck of it, check out Harbor Freight for Solar. They are in Camarillo. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.