Outdoor power

cjturtle

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey guys. I was reading that a number of tortoise owners build small enclosures outdoors with a heat source inside the outdoor enclosure so that they can stay outside year around. If you have done this, how are you getting power to the heat source? Solar panel? Running a long extention cord, lol?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use heavy gauge extension cords if power is relatively close, or I dig a trench and have an electrician run power to where I need it if there is not an outlet close by.

The heaters you'll need to run will pull too much power for the unit you linked, and they will pull the most power in winter, when there is the least amount of solar power available. You'd need a large solar array with a large battery back up to power heating elements for a tortoise box. I run solar on my house and 42 panels barely gets the job done.

Hello and welcome! What species and size have you got?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think if you're gonna need/use electric in an area regularly, that its easier/safer to just bury a conduit and add an outlet near where you need it.

cjturtle

Southern California
I use heavy gauge extension cords if power is relatively close, or I dig a trench and have an electrician run power to where I need it if there is not an outlet close by.

The heaters you'll need to run will pull too much power for the unit you linked, and they will pull the most power in winter, when there is the least amount of solar power available. You'd need a large solar array with a large battery back up to power heating elements for a tortoise box. I run solar on my house and 42 panels barely gets the job done.

Hello and welcome! What species and size have you got?
Hey Tom. I actually have not purchased any yet. I am not sure if i should get a few red foot or leopard tortoises. I live in orange county, CA and not sure which will do best outdoors here. Any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom. I actually have not purchased any yet. I am not sure if i should get a few red foot or leopard tortoises. I live in orange county, CA and not sure which will do best outdoors here. Any suggestions?
RFs don't generally do well here. Its too dry. There are a few people who keep them here successfully with elaborate set ups and large expenditures of time, effort and money. I prefer to keep species that do well here with minimal effort.

Before I go on, how close to the coast are you? Cold and clammy at the beach, or more inland with hotter summer temps and dryness?

cjturtle

Southern California
RFs don't generally do well here. Its too dry. There are a few people who keep them here successfully with elaborate set ups and large expenditures of time, effort and money. I prefer to keep species that do well here with minimal effort.

Before I go on, how close to the coast are you? Cold and clammy at the beach, or more inland with hotter summer temps and dryness?
Im about 6.5 miles from the ocean (15 min drive)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would a leopard tortoise do better in this area?
I think regular leopards would do fine as long as you don't let them get cold and damp.

South African leopards come from a climate very similar to yours, and tend to live near the coast, and I think those would fare the best for you. You could also keep Manouria as long as you don't let them over heat in the summer. Any of the Testudo should do great in your area with minimal effort. Hermanni or Marginata in particular would be well suited to your climate.

cjturtle

Southern California
I think regular leopards would do fine as long as you don't let them get cold and damp.

South African leopards come from a climate very similar to yours, and tend to live near the coast, and I think those would fare the best for you. You could also keep Manouria as long as you don't let them over heat in the summer. Any of the Testudo should do great in your area with minimal effort. Hermanni or Marginata in particular would be well suited to your climate.

Oh great. Would i still need a heated enclosure since the climate is already ideal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh great. Would i still need a heated enclosure since the climate is already ideal?
Yes. They need help during our cold night in Spring and Fall. Depends on what species you get and what the weather does, but either way you'll need a shelter, and either way you should be prepared to heat it and have a thermostat for it. You could probably get away with no heat for an adult hermanni or marginata, but I think its better to err on the side of caution. I don't want them to just survive. I want them to thrive.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I built my tortoise enclosure attached to the back of my house with one wall of the enclosure the actual concrete block wall of my back bedroom and bathroom.
Then I drilled a small hole through to the outside in a location where there was an existing wall outlet inside. Attached and pulled wires through and installed an outdoors, water resistant outlet.
Viola. Power for my pen for about $15.
But we only get a half dozen or so nights below 50 degrees here a year.