Outdoor heating question

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Started building my sulcatas long term outdoor enclosure. I have a 10x12 insulated shed with power running to it. Was planning on using an oil filled electric space heater. Are they safe to use? Cons/pros? Also since they will be outdoors now I won't be able to monitor their temps as frequently. Any recommendations on thermostats that I can access thru my smart phone to allow me to monitor if the temps spike/drop?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Started building my sulcatas long term outdoor enclosure. I have a 10x12 insulated shed with power running to it. Was planning on using an oil filled electric space heater. Are they safe to use? Cons/pros? Also since they will be outdoors now I won't be able to monitor their temps as frequently. Any recommendations on thermostats that I can access thru my smart phone to allow me to monitor if the temps spike/drop?
I don't think a single heater of that type will be enough for a NJ winter. Your thermometer will tell you.

For a temperature probe that you can access though wifi, I like the "Temp stick". @Markw84 uses and recommends the "Sensor Push". That one is cheaper but its only blue tooth. To use it with wifi you have to buy their "gateway", which makes it cost the same as the Temp Stick. These are thermometers and hygrometers. They are not thermostats. They only monitor the temps. They cannot adjust the thermostat for your heater. No reptile thermostat that I know of can handle a 1500 watt radiant oil heater. You'll need something more industrial for that.

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I don't think a single heater of that type will be enough for a NJ winter. Your thermometer will tell you.

For a temperature probe that you can access though wifi, I like the "Temp stick". @Markw84 uses and recommends the "Sensor Push". That one is cheaper but its only blue tooth. To use it with wifi you have to buy their "gateway", which makes it cost the same as the Temp Stick. These are thermometers and hygrometers. They are not thermostats. They only monitor the temps. They cannot adjust the thermostat for your heater. No reptile thermostat that I know of can handle a 1500 watt radiant oil heater. You'll need something more industrial for that.
Do you have any recommendations on a better heater to use that will be more efficient? I will look in to the Temp Stick, thanks for the recommendation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have any recommendations on a better heater to use that will be more efficient? I will look in to the Temp Stick, thanks for the recommendation.
Sorry, but I don't. Since it is not needed here, I have no experience to draw from.

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Sorry, but I don't. Since it is not needed here, I have no experience to draw from.
I appreciate the recommendations earlier for the temp stick... looks like a decent product and has good reviews, thanks again. I'll have to wait for some northeast keepers to hopefully chime in.