Building Enclosure help

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi! I am working on building a more suitable enclosure for my tortoise (out of wood obviously) However, I was curious if anybody who has a wooden closed chamber enclosure has issues with the wood getting too wet or moldy over time? If it does, is there anything I can do to prevent it, like maybe line the inside with something? This may be a weird question but thanks in advance!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The higher the humidity the quicker it rots. Just no way around it even with heavy pond liner. So be prepared and don’t over spend

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
As blackdog said I wouldnt go w wood. Spend the money and go with pvc. Ive also used melamine just be sure to caulk the seams really well ( cheaper than pvc but heavy as hell)

Michigan
As blackdog said I wouldnt go w wood. Spend the money and go with pvc. Ive also used melamine just be sure to caulk the seams really well ( cheaper than pvc but heavy as hell)
Ok! Do you have an example or pic just so I can get an idea of the basic structure?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
heres a melamine 4x2 i did last year.. the sliding doors wernt on yet but u get the idea

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know if this might help...

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
They sell 4x8 sheets of pvc board here at home depot its a bit pricey( about 98 bucks a sheet) but worth it

Michigan
They sell 4x8 sheets of pvc board here at home depot its a bit pricey( about 98 bucks a sheet) but worth it
I’ve been looking on Home Depot, all I found was “trim pvc” is that what it is?