Building indoor tortoise table question

Sandy Lou

Howdy folks. Since our "Ruby" (<--this can't an be original name for a redfoot but the fam insisted when I tried to name her Dorothy) came with only an obnoxiously small tortoise box (maybe it was good for her when she was younger and smaller) I've read all the things about indoor enclosures, etc and I still have a few questions. I purchased a bookshelf off of craigslist yesterday and am having my neighbor put a real back/bottom on it (instead of that Masonite stuff) and build the hinged covers. I plan on putting the small tortoise box inside of it on one end because it fits and all though it is small, it is functional and she likes her little house - as the end of it slides out and it will open into the greater sized unit. Anyhoodle - I read about the bookcase boxes and it said to line them with a shower curtain liner, etc - can someone explain the purpose of this? Even her little box doesn't have a liner. I'm curious if this is a necessary or wise thing to do.

I'm also thinking I will need another light/heat source as the lamp she has won't be able to heat but the one spot. Or is that necessary. Most of the enclosures I see in the forum have multiple light sources.

When all that is finished and she has an acceptable place to finish out the winter, we are going to work on my garden (outside my office window) to make it secure for her. A friend dropped off some leftover tin today to start lining the fence at the bottom etc ...

So, questions are about lights/heat and liner for the box. And any other advice you have to offer.

Thanks much!

PS. My parrots curse the day she arrived. They are eating healthier now. They have always been fed fresh, but a lot of stuff on her approved list isn't on their preferred. ;-)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RF need high humidity, like most torts do. The liner is to keep the wood from getting wet from humidity and pee and molding/rotting.
Check out the RF care sheets and also check out the tortoiselibrary.com

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yeah, what Barb said. You have to use a moist substrate with your RF tortoise and you don't want that moisture to soak into the wood or creep out the seams onto your floor, so you line the book case with plastic for protection. You can also put lots of plants in there, and watering the plants won't leak out and wreck your floor or the bookcase.

You only need one UVB light, somewhere in the middle, then to keep the rest of the habitat warm enough (in the 80s) you can have more light fixtures and just use regular 100 watt incandescent bulbs in them, or if you don't want that much brightness, you can put 100 watt Ceramic Heat Emitters in the extra fixtures. I have a Christmas tree storage bin that's about 4' long. I built a wooden framework that runs over the length of the bin. I have three light fixtures hanging on that framework, one at each end and one in the middle. The two on the ends are black lights that are on all the time, and the one in the middle is a Mercury Vapor Bulb that is on a timer on at 7a and off at 7p. I can also drape plastic sheeting over the framework to keep the cooler house air out and the warm, moist air inside.

Sandy Lou

Thanks Yvonne and Barb. As it stands, my office is sort of feeling like a field trip to the aquarium. Good thing I like to be warm. I've got her light on a timer and it comes on at 7:30 and off at 5:30. She doesn't really get up and about until about 8:45 though and she retreats to her hidey hole between 4-4:30 every day. I've also got a ceramic heater in my office that faces the "box". And a humidifier. Etc. She has a really good appetite and breakfast is one of her favorite things and if she were a dog I'd tell you she has healthy poo. She also likes basking in her casserole (yet another reason she has to have a bigger box until we can fix up my garden and it gets warmer) 9x13 dish. She is very funny with her little feet stretched out and enjoying her sun bath. I found a kiddy pool in our storage shed today and am going to clean that up so she can muddle around in it for exercise. It was 81 here today, and I thought about taking her out for a stroll - but I didn't. As I mentioned, I've cared for many species - but never a tortoise. I appreciate all of the help.