bulb placement advice

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Need some advice on the bulb placement for my closed enclosure. I now have my mvb che and thermostat. Should the bulb be placed on opposite sides of the enclosure? Also where should his hiding box be placed as well as his food. Also what kind of substrate should i use for the enclosure? Appreciate advice in getting my enclosure set up before the cool weather.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would hang the mvb between one end and the middle and the Che between the other end and the middle with the hide near the Che. The mvb can not go on the thermostat, only the Che.
I like coconut coir. It holds humidity great, won't mold and won't cause impactions. If you dampen it and keep patting it down it isn't so messy. Putting flat tiles or stones around the water and food dishes will also help,keep the coir out of it,
Also baking your substrate 250 for about 3 hours will kill any bugs/eggs and you won't get the tiny bugs everyone gets, at least for quite some time if ever.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Great thanks for the advice...had to order the coir but should be arriving in a few days. At what temp should i go ahead and put him into the closed enclosure? Right now our nights low is only high 60s. I've read conflicting info...is it no lower than 60 or 50 degrees?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Closed chamber should have a humidity of 80% and temps no lower then 80 with basking of 95+. This is for a Sulcata correct?
Tom's threads below will explain.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great thanks for the advice...had to order the coir but should be arriving in a few days. At what temp should i go ahead and put him into the closed enclosure? Right now our nights low is only high 60s. I've read conflicting info...is it no lower than 60 or 50 degrees?

I set my night boxes to 75 in summer and 85 degrees in winter for my outdoor adults. In my indoor closed chambers, the thermostat is set to 80.

While sulcatas can certainly survive temps in the 60s and lower, it is not "good" for them and they don't experience temps that low in the wild. I used to let mine dip into the 60s in winter. They survived that way for years. When I started building proper insulated boxes and keeping them warmer, I saw a HUGE difference in health and vigor.

I don't like coco coir for sulcatas. Too messy. Orchid bark works better and can be found in bulk at any garden center. Get the fine grade.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Thx for the info. ..ill certainly check out the orchid bark as well. Ive also heard cypress mulch works well for closed chamber. ..your thoughts?

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Did you go to a certain site to get ideas and instruction for building for your outdoor insulated boxes? Just want to keep a reference in preparation for next year.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Closed chamber should have a humidity of 80% and temps no lower then 80 with basking of 95+. This is for a Sulcata correct?
Tom's threads below will explain.
Ok thx, that being said, how do i keep the chamber humid and if i set my thermostat at 85 how do i get the basking area to 95. Basking is near the mvb right? Or is 95 near the che?

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
I have my closed chamber set up with mvb between one end and the middle and the Che between the other end and the middle with the hide near the Che and connected to the thermostat -- I also have another available socket right in the center of the chamber for use just in case. My question is my mvb is 100w -- would that be enough uv ray for my sulcata or would I possibly need another mvb in the center??? It just doesn't look very bright to me like it would provide enough uv for him? I've only put him in the chamber at night -- our days here in SA are still very warm so I haven't used the mvb yet but when it is cool enough to leave him in during the day I want to be ready and make sure he gets enough uv. Closed chamber is about 5x8