Bull Frog tadpole.... what to feed them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
I have a tadpole in a tank in the house and he/she is not eating (that i can see)

What do you feed them?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
my son brought home a bunch of them a while back too. Some quick research said they eat microbes and stuff in the water mostly, so you need to change the water fairly frequently and stay away from chlorinated tap water. You can also throw a few chunks of mazuri or other similar food in there and they will eat that. Watch the temperature too - leave them in the direct, hot sun and they will die fast (unfortunately).

Good luck! :D

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
If I can recall... a long whiles back when I had tadpoles I fed them those freeze dried bloodworm cubes... but it does make the water pretty disgusting so it would probably need some kind of filtration or just change the water often.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Tank water is not an issue, I have a 75 gallon filter on a 20 gallon tank.
I read boiled lettuce was good but I've yet to see him eat any...

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
we feed our tadpoles algae wafers and fish flakes, you can buy the algae in powder form, moisten it with water, then "paint" it on a small piece of plastic-like pvc, let it dry, then drop it in the tank for them to eat. We just sprinkle the flakes directly in the tank. The best results have been alternating the flakes and pvc each day. Most of the tadpoles we hatch are dart frogs, Dentrobates auratus, tinctorius, azeurus, Hourglass frogs, Dendropsophus ebraccatus, and golden frogs, Atelopus zeteki.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I get them when my fishing bait guy gets them with the bait fish by accident. They are hugh and they just grow, never feed them.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Went to pet store last night... they said when they are growing legs (and this one is) they don't eat. Their tail is absorbed and that is all they need untill their full fledged frogs!
Hope that's true!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
68merc said:
Went to pet store last night... they said when they are growing legs (and this one is) they don't eat. Their tail is absorbed and that is all they need untill their full fledged frogs!
Hope that's true!
I seem to recall from my biology book, when they are metamorphosing they don't eat, so they are probably right.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It depends on species. All of the above answers are correct. Some of them are carnivores (blood worms and "microbes) while others are herbivores (spinach, lettuce, etc.)

I used either algae wafers of crushed flake food depending on which species I was raising. The algae wafers had a lot of protein so I would also put algae covered rocks in with the herbivorous species. They seemed to really like that.

I honestly don't remember if mine ate while absorbing their tails or not.

But either way, start getting ready with the bugs to feed them. They eat a lot as soon as that tail is absorbed.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I raised many tadpoles into frogs and toads as a boy, and if I remember correctly, bullfrog tadpoles start out as vegetarians, and then turn carnivorous. If you've got a bunch, they'll kill and eat each other. I'd try frozen brine shrimp.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
ours tend to eat the entire time, some actually cannibalizing one another during the tadpole and morphing stages. Depending on the species, we separate them because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.