My little guy

shane.jones.9279

96d40df3662143c8a5c251eb006bf3d8.jpg

So this is my little guy. Got him 5 years ago. He is pretty tiny and only eats bugs and red fruits or and the occasional tadpole if offered. I offer him a wide mix of stuff but he only goes for the bugs or red stuff. I am cannot remember what type he is, but was hoping someone might be able to help me out, by giving me some pointers. Thank you

Onidara

No that's a big turtle, look at the yellow on the side of the neck and the way the brown is on the shell is placedImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1458224262.518900.jpg
Do you have better photos of the head from the side with neck out?

Onidara

Here's one with the yellow on neck and the line going down the shell in the middle same as yours ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1458224389.286348.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It seems to me that at 5 years of age, your little box turtle (Terrapene carolina) should be quite a bit bigger than he is. Baby box turtles do eat mostly bugs and worms. I cut up a bunch of greens and fruit into tiny pieces and make a little pile on a feeding tile, then I place the bugs and worms on top of that pile. Eventually your turtle will get a taste for the greens and fruit along with the meat. Don't worry too much about it, just keep offering it. He'll eventually eat it.

He also needs a waterer that he can climb into. Box turtles love to sit in water.

(I'm thinking that he's a Terrapene carolina carolina, or eastern box turtle, but he's too young yet to know for sure. We have to wait until more of the adult shell pattern comes in.)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
(I'm thinking that he's a Terrapene carolina carolina, or eastern box turtle, but he's too young yet to know for sure. We have to wait until more of the adult shell pattern comes in.)
Do those Eastern box turtles come in a variety of colors? I've seen some more yellow and others more brown.

shane.jones.9279

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It seems to me that at 5 years of age, your little box turtle (Terrapene carolina) should be quite a bit bigger than he is. Baby box turtles do eat mostly bugs and worms. I cut up a bunch of greens and fruit into tiny pieces and make a little pile on a feeding tile, then I place the bugs and worms on top of that pile. Eventually your turtle will get a taste for the greens and fruit along with the meat. Don't worry too much about it, just keep offering it. He'll eventually eat it.

He also needs a waterer that he can climb into. Box turtles love to sit in water.

Thanks for the advice on food and possible ID. He does have a nice climb in climb out water dish he sits in sometimes.