Burrowing!

Linds94

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hello! I just got my cute baby russian tortoise today, he started burrowing which I know is normal but is it normal for them to burrow head first? He dug a little hole halfway under one of his rocks. Is that a normal thing to do or should I move him?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
congratulations on your new baby. Yes that is normal. They dig in with their front feet. babies hide more than adults.

ComeNT8kIt

Houston/Tx
Hello! I just got my cute baby russian tortoise today, he started burrowing which I know is normal but is it normal for them to burrow head first? He dug a little hole halfway under one of his rocks. Is that a normal thing to do or should I move him?

Nah let him be. He just making his house a home. lol. My Hermann’s has 2 perfectly good hides he’ll use like 90% of the times but every once n again he’ll decide he’d rather dig under his water dish

Linds94

Utah
Nah let him be. He just making his house a home. lol. My Hermann’s has 2 perfectly good hides he’ll use like 90% of the times but every once n again he’ll decide he’d rather dig under his water dish
Perfect. Good to know this is a normal thing haha ? I didn't want to move him around a ton unless I had to!