Leopard burrowing...

Cam08

Location (City and/or State)
USA
I just received my baby leopard yesterday. And after a few hours in the new place, it started burrowing. And has been burrowing for 12 plus hours. Is this normal?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Cam08

USA
I will upload when I get home. Should I take them out or just leave it be?
Greetings

Could be all kinds of things going on here, new spaces, different substrate, lights too bright, no hide, it’s too cold, brand new and checking the new place out, etc.

Make sure you check your set-up compared to what is in the care sheet here

You might want to upload a few pix of your enclosure for everyone to “help” you out.

Good luck....

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Take the tortiose out of burrow or leave it alone?

For now, id leave it alone and check all your temps and lighting, etc. when you get home, take some pix of your set-up and upload them here.

Since hes brand new to you, needs to settle in.

Ohio
I would leave it there, but does it have a hide?

The tortoise should have someplace to hide in its' enclosure. I wouldn't worry for a while, he's got to get settled in. But he should be eating just about every day and you should be soaking him, make sure you familiarize your self with the care sheet because it's important to adhere to while the babies are young and the setup is a little more in depth.

Ohio
He's fine, babies' instinct is to hide for survival. Just make sure the substrate is a little moist and the humidity is where it needs to be so he can grow a nice smooth shell.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's unusual for leopards to burrow in. Make sure temps are 80 all over, humidity is 80% and basking is 95-100. How big is that aquarium? If f it's too small it will be too hot. That water dish needs to be bigger so they can get inside it. A low sided clay saucer, the kind that goes under flower pots is best.