Burrowing

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1385345630.287895.jpg

My Sully seems to have been burrowing a lot today ? Is this normal ? I know they burrow when they are either too hot or cold , but the thermometer on the tank says it's 95 degrees so I don't think that's the problem . Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually, he should have it 80 and a basking of 95+. I would try to lower the temp to 80 but not lower and leave only the basking spot to be 95+ and see if he seems to come out more.

Also, those high of temps are to go along with the 80% humidity.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What are your 4 temps? Do you have a temp gun? If not, you need to get one asap. If the ambient temp is 95 degrees when it should be 80-83, then I think he's burrowing because it's too hot for him especially if his hide is over 95 degrees. Every so often, they like it cooler. So, you need to make sure your 4 temps are addressed.

Lovenmysuber

5 Year Member
US
I have a Russian that is doing the same thing lately...He is "normal" once we wake him up, but not ready to "get out of bed" on his own. Maybe it's just their biological clock? IDK. I have been doing soaks once a day (or every other) to help keep him awake. Sorry I can't help, best of luck.

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
Thanks guys ! I should've made myself clear , the basking temp was at 95 . He is usually out much more , but it's just been today that he seems to burrow a little deeper than normal . The humidity is at 80 , and the temp right by his powersun bulb is 95

But he burrows right under his heat lamp , which is odd to me . Thanks for the feedback so far everybody !

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think in your case, the Russian is burrowing because it's cold where he's at. They like the cooler temps, but if it gets too cool, they'll want to burrow for the winter. Do you have him in a garage or inside? If in an enclosure, what are his temps? You may want to create your own thread so as not to infringe on the OP's thread :)
Lovenmysuber said:
I have a Russian that is doing the same thing lately...He is "normal" once we wake him up, but not ready to "get out of bed" on his own. Maybe it's just their biological clock? IDK. I have been doing soaks once a day (or every other) to help keep him awake. Sorry I can't help, best of luck.

So, what is the ambient temp?
anthonyludo8 said:
Thanks guys ! I should've made myself clear , the basking temp was at 95 . He is usually out much more , but it's just been today that he seems to burrow a little deeper than normal . The humidity is at 80 , and the temp right by his powersun bulb is 95

But he burrows right under his heat lamp , which is odd to me . Thanks for the feedback so far everybody !

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
sibi said:
I think in your case, the Russian is burrowing because it's cold where he's at. They like the cooler temps, but if it gets too cool, they'll want to burrow for the winter. Do you have him in a garage or inside? If in an enclosure, what are his temps? You may want to create your own thread so as not to infringe on the OP's thread :)
Lovenmysuber said:

So, what is the ambient temp?
anthonyludo8 said:

The day time ambient temp is 85 , but I switch his bulbs around this time to his night time bulb