Busted

DuckieGo

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Woke up this morning to find out we pooped in our tank last night and was actively trying to eat it. Hence the black mouth. Trying to soak it off but it does not seem to come off so easily. Then we pooped in our water right after this. Pooping does not seem to be an issue with this little guy. Any tips for cleaning him up or just soak soak soak? This was a stunned stare I got after he stayed out of his shell and let me rub under his chin lightly.

Attachments

• IMG_20220425_095419.jpg
    IMG_20220425_095419.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2

DuckieGo

Oregon
After soak we are still a green black stain. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20220425_103954.jpg
    IMG_20220425_103954.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I believe poop eating is quite common, I think the stain will wear off eventually.
Is this as well as having food available or before/after feeding?
If the latter, maybe make sure he has food available all day because they are grazers and will often eat and then look for more later. Hopefully, he'll prefer that to poop!
Do you leave any of his lights on at night?

DuckieGo

Oregon
I believe poop eating is quite common, I think the stain will wear off eventually.
Is this as well as having food available or before/after feeding?
If the latter, maybe make sure he has food available all day because they are grazers and will often eat and then look for more later. Hopefully, he'll prefer that to poop!
Do you leave any of his lights on at night?
Yea I keep food available all throughout the day we have a backyard garden and I have calcium powder I just kind of go through and clip this n that throughout the day and exachnge fresh greens that are left to sit too long. I thought about freezing greens from the garden in the future too then thawing for like winter months but u sure if that pulls from the nutritional value. I've been using grass as a staple with mixed greens it eats non stop. Haha I do keep a light going in the evening on an adjuster lamp meaning I can adjust intensity and brightness while still getting heat output to maintain those higher temps at night time. Unsure if there's a better method to the madness.

DuckieGo

Oregon
I should add last night what I do is regularly monsoon everything down with a bottle make sure that coconut coir is not drying up and when I do this I really monsoon the place down and spray allover quite intensely. I think it may have triggered poo time

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Unsure if there's a better method to the madness.
There IS a better method...

It needs to be dark at night, so use a CHE or a RHP set on a thermostat to maintain ambient above 80 all night. If your enclosure is set up right, the heat lamp will do this work during the day and hopefully raise the ambient up to around 90 degrees all over.

I should add last night what I do is regularly monsoon everything down with a bottle make sure that coconut coir is not drying up and when I do this I really monsoon the place down and spray allover quite intensely. I think it may have triggered poo time
You should not have to do this. This tells me you are using something with an open top and there is too much ventilation. You don't have to do that with a closed chamber. I don't know if you've already seen this, but there is some helpful info in this thread:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yea I keep food available all throughout the day we have a backyard garden and I have calcium powder I just kind of go through and clip this n that throughout the day and exachnge fresh greens that are left to sit too long. I thought about freezing greens from the garden in the future too then thawing for like winter months but u sure if that pulls from the nutritional value. I've been using grass as a staple with mixed greens it eats non stop. Haha I do keep a light going in the evening on an adjuster lamp meaning I can adjust intensity and brightness while still getting heat output to maintain those higher temps at night time. Unsure if there's a better method to the madness.
If you turn the light off he will probably settle and not want to eat in the night.
Torts need darkness to sleep so a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) would be a better option for night heat but it must be run through a thermostat so that it doesn't get too hot and cook him.

I've never tried freezing weeds etc., but I remember someone telling me that they would just go mushy when defrosted. You could always experiment though.

DuckieGo

Oregon
There IS a better method...

It needs to be dark at night, so use a CHE or a RHP set on a thermostat to maintain ambient above 80 all night. If your enclosure is set up right, the heat lamp will do this work during the day and hopefully raise the ambient up to around 90 degrees all over.

You should not have to do this. This tells me you are using something with an open top and there is too much ventilation. You don't have to do that with a closed chamber. I don't know if you've already seen this, but there is some helpful info in this thread:
It's the light for sure causing this issue with the coco dimming helped but not enough I will get a Che that looks like a much better solution thankyou.

Reactions: Tom