Buying large sheets of glass for sliding enclosure doors

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I am building a new enclosure for my ball python, which will probably be 6 x 2 x 3.5 feet. Still debating the height, but it will be between 3 and 4 feet. I'm running into an issue finding glass or polycarbonate for the sliding doors (Plexiglass is too flexible and he is very good at escaping) at an affordable price, preferably 100$ or less.

Funnily enough, I have found these tempered glass floor mats at the dimensions I need for way cheaper than I've found glass anywhere else, and I can get free one day shipping with amazon prime. It's 41$ per 36" x 36" x 1/5" sheet, and my only concerns are the beveled edges, which don't seem so extreme that they would pose any risk for escapes, and the fact that it's tempered and will be used vertically as a sliding door. I'd prefer that my enclosure doors don't shatter into a million pieces, but I think that as long as I'm not stupid with it it will be fine. Unless someone tells me its a bad idea.

I've tried getting quotes from a few glass shops, but none of them have gotten back to me on it. Does anyone think it's likely that I'll find someone that can give me 36 x 36" sheets of >1/8th inch thick glass for less than 41$ each, or should I just go for the floor mats? I have no experience with buying glass and don't really know what to expect price wise.
UV resistant polycarbonate would arguably be better, but I have not been able to find it for a price within my budget.

Ball python in question, who is somehow active enough to need an enclosure this big:
Saffron2.png
Saffron flowers.png

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I put this in tortoise enclosures because I figure this information would also translate for someone looking for glass for a tortoise enclosure, though they wouldn't need as much height

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
As long as you frame it with a U channel with a rubber cushioning as tempered glass is very edge sensitive. Nice deal and tempered glass can have a pretty high PSI resistance just depends on manufacturing process