Building a New Glass Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I am working on a indoor enclosure for my impressed tortoise to stay in this winter. The base glass is 29x54 inches,the enclosure size is 24x48x14 inches, when finished it will have 2 levels. The top level will be 12x48x12 inches using frosted glass on everything but the front. I had to buy 2 tables to get the base glass and right height, the table with the glass top was to tall,so I bought a coffee table that is short and sturdy to set the base on. The good part is I picked both tables at auction for $6.90 total.The other glass I bought in lots of 5 pieces at a time at a cost of $134.00 including shipping cost, the caulking was $6. The base is 1/2 in thick and all other glass is 3/16 tempered shelf glass. Here is what I got done today.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
oh wow a glass enclosure? that sounds amazing, i wish i could do that with mine, but with my luck they would still break it or escape out of it somehow lol good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! Antique flat irons for holding the glass wall in place. You are nothing if not inventive!

Do you just have the one impressed tortoise?

Len B

10 Year Member!
I didn't do any work on this enclosure today, but I did get another nice piece of glass at the auction tonight, another coffee table. I also got another victrola and an old hand crank cheese slicer.

Penn

5 Year Member
Nice! I want a hand crank cheese slicer.

Penn

5 Year Member
I wanna see how it looks like!!! Pleeeeease!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Penn said:
Len said:
Penn said:

Here it is.

Len said:
Penn said:

Here it is.

Lets try this one I screwed up and posted the large pic

How are you gonna clean that up? That thing is rusty as heck.

I have a blaster at the Maryland house, probably use nut shells instead of grit after dismantling it. I see through the rust and only see what is below it. the blade and slide are not cast so I will soak them in transmission fluid and work by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.