Can I use Glass as an Enclosure Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctomaselli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hello Everyone

I was wondering if it is ok to use glass on top of my wooden enclosure. I originally had an acrylic top but realized that you pretty much have to mount it in order to avoid it from sagging. I am wondering if it would just be easier to use a glass top instead. My enclosure is 4' x 2' and I found glass that is 3' x 2' so it would only cover 2/3 of the tank. The area with my MVB and CHE would stay open. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Absolutely. Shouldn't hurt a thing, as long as you are leaving the heat and UV area uncovered.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
kyryah said:
Absolutely. Shouldn't hurt a thing, as long as you are leaving the heat and UV area uncovered.

also glass will not scratch as easily

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
...not to mention...any condensation build-up will only increase humidity levels;)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
glass is good I just get nervous with it after a cat jumped on a glass cover over one of my fish tanks and broke it. Amazingly no fish nor the cat were hurt, despite all the thrashing as the drenched cat tried to get out of the fish tank.

I guess that just means make it THICK :) That cover was only 1/8" but was only spanning a narrow width so I thought it was fine. WRONG

ctomaselli

5 Year Member
SoCal
Luckily I have no cats but I do have a dog but she knows better to jump on the table. Thanks for the advice everyone. I really needed help getting the humidy up in my enclosure. I have a Hermann hatchling so I want to make sure the heat and humidity is enough for him. I can't seem to get the humidity past 40 degrees so I'm trying to figure something out asap. Hopefully that will work.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I would get tempered glass which will make it more expensive. If it does break it will not do so in large shards and is four to five times stronger than normal glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.