One way glass?

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
Does anyone use a one way glass in their indoor tables? Wondering how well it looks and works? I’d love to install some in the front of my new table so I can view him from the side rather then just the top. I’ve been told it doesn’t work really well if there is more light on the inside then the outside of the table. ??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just used regular glass or plexiglass. You only have to block the lower portion if your tort bothers with it. You should still be able to see enough, specially if the table/enclosure sits lower then you.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Does anyone use a one way glass in their indoor tables? Wondering how well it looks and works? I’d love to install some in the front of my new table so I can view him from the side rather then just the top. I’ve been told it doesn’t work really well if there is more light on the inside then the outside of the table. ??

I don't think one way glass/mirror is good for tortoises. The one way glass will act as a mirror, which may cause your tortoise to attack the glass because he or she may believe another tortoise is on the other side, possibly encroaching on their territory.

Plexiglass would also be my recommendation.

Cardi

Poland
better to use normal glass or plexi. Its better when it can see you, get used to you more.
Second is that when he see more around, he feels like the enclosure is bigger
my male when he sees himself in a mirror he becomes more agressive and stressed

Why you want one way glass?

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
Okay great thanks! I hadnt realized that it would cause a mirror effect, good to know, thank you all so much!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
better to use normal glass or plexi. Its better when it can see you, get used to you more.
Second is that when he see more around, he feels like the enclosure is bigger
my male when he sees himself in a mirror he becomes more agressive and stressed

Why you want one way glass?
A lot of tortoises will constantly bang themselves on the glass trying too get out. Some also get too stressed being able to see out, usually only at their level. Blocking the glass at their level stops this. She figured the one way would let her see in and not allow the tort to see out, foregoing having to block their line of site with paper or tape.

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
A lot of tortoises will constantly bang themselves on the glass trying too get out. Some also get too stressed being able to see out, usually only at their level. Blocking the glass at their level stops this. She figured the one way would let her see in and not allow the tort to see out, foregoing having to block their line of site with paper or tape.

I’m building a large table 30” high offthe floor a ways from the kitchen and want to be able to see him from there besides looking down upon him.