Cacti from Vegas!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I was in Vegas last week visiting family. Imagine how excited I was when my Aunt presented me with cacti from her own yard to bring home. I've gotten them potted (in our PNW typhoon ) and am wondering how to go about feeding them to the torts. Do I cut a pad in half? Only pull full pads? Just wait for new growth and feed those? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476556530.515170.jpg
I know they need to take root and grow, but I'm so pleased at the idea of feeding cacti I've grown!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would place one pad into each pot. Eventually, when it starts to grow, one pad will make a big plant. The ball type is an echinopsis and probably wouldn't be good to feed. If you don't care to grow a plant, then you can feed those pads, but I would grow plants from the pads and feed pads as the plant gets too big.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Yup, I need more pots to plant each pad separately. They'd been wrapped in newspaper and then ziploc'd since my Weds flight, I figured some dirt was better then no dirt.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Interesting...I asked my friend, Google, if echinopsis can be fed to tortoises. One of the responses he gave was this one:

http://www.cactusstore.com/category_553/Tortoise-Food.htm

Has nothing to do with echinopsis, but interesting if you want to buy opuntia to plant and feed.

$3.50 a pound??? Holy cow!!! I need to start selling this stuff! I could be rich! My tortoises have eaten thousands of dollars worth of cactus this summer!!!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
$3.50 a pound??? Holy cow!!! I need to start selling this stuff! I could be rich! My tortoises have eaten thousands of dollars worth of cactus this summer!!!
Oh ya, it's all I could think of hiking around Red Rock. Look at all the tort food!

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I've been buying from a source online and paying just over $30 for a box that is about 10lbs.

Nobody seems to carry it here in Michigan.