Another cactus question...

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia

Tom, after all these years, none of food markets have cactus pads or even much of a variety of greens. We had one that had mustard, turnip and other greens mentioned by the group...and when it closed...spring mix and collard greens are about all I can find. Hence my attempts to grow my own food to add variety .... and my frustration with growing things I know little about in a less than ideal environ. The torts sure love cactus. But because they are in pots at the moment...it presents other issues. The hibiscus (Rose of Sharon) has been easy and a prodigious flower producer almost from the time I planted it but it was one of the rare cold weather food plants I could buy locally. I ordered a banana palm...sent from CA...and with the upper 90’s heat around here...it arrived pretty much dead. Through diligence...I have gotten some new growth though finally. We had a spate of rain for a few days...but a month of drought before browned the grass and destroyed the dandelions/weeds for grazing. The info and support of the group has helped immensely...when I was discouraged because the weather was defeating all my grandiose plans. I’m trying hard to keep from making spring mix, collards and Zoomed...the only variety the torts have.

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
@Skip K You need to travel north up 295 to Laurel. We have a “Super Best” international market that has great cactus pads and fruit (aka tuna) all year long. Cactus is about $1.00 a pound. Hardly any spines worth mentioning.

I’m growing some Florida-fresh pads provided by @Ray--Opo and they love our Md weather. But, i feed a ton, can’t grow enough yet.

come on up!

Here is the address for Super Best

13600 Laurel Bowie Rd
Laurel, MD 20708
United States

Skip K

Virginia
@Skip K You need to travel north up 295 to Laurel. We have a “Super Best” international market that has great cactus pads and fruit (aka tuna) all year long. Cactus is about $1.00 a pound. Hardly any spines worth mentioning.

I’m growing some Florida-fresh pads provided by @Ray--Opo and they love our Md weather. But, i feed a ton, can’t grow enough yet.

come on up!

Here is the address for Super Best

13600 Laurel Bowie Rd
Laurel, MD 20708
United States
I just might have to arrange a day trip with the fam. Been to Laurel a few times. Thanks for the heads up!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Here is a progress report from pads uplifted to Maryland from Florida a few months ago. So much new growth!

Almost NOOOO spines. I rubbed those nubbins off a few ‘cause I thought this iscwhere spines sho7ld form. But, no spines. Smooth as silk. Tort friendly.

thanks @Ray--Opo !

1589D8B9-DAFE-4E8E-8389-C143BA5D603D.jpeg04C9FF18-DBB5-4F6D-B24B-9E2983C50040.jpeg

Skip K

Virginia

Skip K

Virginia
Ok, so a bit of a road trip, BUT the pads are here.
Not that bad of a road trip. I probably wouldn’t travel to Laurel for just greens...but cactus pads last a while and would be worth it to me. I more than likely would make a day trip to Point Lookout Md with the fam...and buy just veggies from the Amish along the way. But I’ve never seen cactus pads for sale by the Amish

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Not that bad of a road trip. I probably wouldn’t travel to Laurel for just greens...but cactus pads last a while and would be worth it to me. I more than likely would make a day trip to Point Lookout Md with the fam...and buy just veggies from the Amish along the way. But I’ve never seen cactus pads for sale by the Amish

Yes. Cactus aren't quite the Amish’s cup of tea. And Point Lookout isn‘t anywhere near here...but maybe you take long day trips.

Skip K

Virginia
At least you have growth! I forgot to ask, what kind of tortoise do you have?
Redfoots, Leopards and 3 eight month old Sulcatas. The Sulcatas are the first foray in to shipped babies. All my other torts were either rehomes, established juveniles from reptile shows or animals suffering from horrible conditions at pet shops. I am a sucker for poorly treated torts. They may never look perfect...but I don’t care

Skip K

Virginia
Yes. Cactus aren't quite the Amish’s cup of tea. And Point Lookout isn‘t anywhere near here...but maybe you take long day trips.
We do. Maryland is a beautiful state. Love the Eastern Shore and Antietem battlefield in particular

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
We do. Maryland is a beautiful state. Love the Eastern Shore and Antietem battlefield in particular
Skip it you need some pads to grow. I can send you some mature pads.My cactus are just starting some new growth. Just in time I was running out of young pads to feed Opo.

Skip K

Virginia
Skip it you need some pads to grow. I can send you some mature pads.My cactus are just starting some new growth. Just in time I was running out of young pads to feed Opo.
Thank you, Ray. I’m just frustrated why two large new growth pads just fell off the original pad on one...and another species of cactus...is growing tall and spindly. I’m getting growth...but it doesn’t seem like the new growth will ever be strong enough to turn into a bush. But I’m taking in the info from all and collating it. I’m going to transfer one of the colder tolerant varieties from a pot to in the ground tomorrow. Sometimes I lean toward that I might be over thinking things and micro- managing too much. A bad habit of mine when dealing with new, unfamiliar things.