Opuntia Cactus Question

When is it ok to feed Opuntia cactus? I read on some website that it wasn't safe to feed if the pad was bigger than your hand because mature pads contain harmful concentrations of oxalic acid, is this true? This is what my cacti currently look like

Attachments

• IMG_5660.JPG
    IMG_5660.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 32

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
No idea. I have pads the that are well over a foot and almost s foot wide idk why they are so big lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When is it ok to feed Opuntia cactus? I read on some website that it wasn't safe to feed if the pad was bigger than your hand because mature pads contain harmful concentrations of oxalic acid, is this true? This is what my cacti currently look like

Actually, we had a thread (or post, can't remember which) recently that told us the older pads are better to use than the younger ones. I don't remember the reason why, but maybe @jaizei and find that for us.

Wow so one place says only the new pads and another says the older pads lol. I just don't want to feed anything that might make my tortoise sick. When I feed the cactus do I need to do anything to it first?

Thank you!! That pretty much answered all of my questions regarding when to feed!

Do I need to do anything to them before I feed them? The don't appear to have any visible spines but when I touch it I get these little invisible pricklys in my finger.

And since my little guy is still small could I save any unused portion of the cactus in the fridge?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I peel them with a potato peeler for the babies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I cut narrow strips starting at the top of the pad and working down. Only cut what you need to feed. you can even use scissors or a sharp knife to cut the strips without removing the complete from the plant if you are feeding a small tortoise and not using much of the pad at each feeding. Most pads store well after removal if kept cool and out of direct sun.

Thank you Yvonne and Turtulas! I went ahead and cut a few strips off of the cactus and he seems to be really enjoying them!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Any stage of pad is okay. However older pads have less oxalic acid. FWIW, oxalic acid is not the issue so many have made it out to be. It is an often repeated anecdote, there is no clinical basis for the concern with tortoises.

https://www.facebook.com/KapidoloFarms/

Thank you Will! that's what I wanted to know. I have been sitting here for a month now staring at the cacti I grew not knowing which part or when I should feed to my tortoise!