Cactus Fruit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom2twinsplus2

5 Year Member
Is cactus fruit a good treat for a Russia ever? So far, I have been feeding a spring green mix (from Costco) supplemented with endive (which the LOVE), dusted with miner-all and a veggie dust supplement and with a somewhat softened mazuri pellet or two on top. I plan for this to be my basic food for them but I am wondering what I can do to mix it up a bit for them...I am thinking some bok choy sometimes instead of the endive, I have some of the cactus pads and they seem to really like those....but what about the cactus fruit since I see the big FS listing?

Thanks!

Alison

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
As a treat, it's fine. I know it's a bit harder this time of year, but things like weeds found in your yard (if not treated with chemicals or other animals on Ivermectin type meds) are well loved. Weeds such as dandelion, plantain, clovers are examples that even now (once I scrape off the snow:rolleyes:) are still there to be found.

For a bit later in the year, many common plants are great food items and the blooms make some colorful additions. Do you happen to have a grape vine? Mine love the leaves (not the grapes themselves). Hibiscus leaves/flowers, rose blooms (remember only if plants are untreated), the list just goes on and on with other common flowers many folks already grow in their yards and flower pots. Take a look at the lists that shows them.

Plus keep looking at what greens your grocery store may have and try an occasional different head or clump of something. Even the greens we caution as "bad", aren't if used every so often rather then as a daily steady or complete diet. Plus many have things like turnip greens, mustard greens, collards, ect.., which are fine to have more often.

A rare treat of fruit won't kill them. It's the over feeding of fruit that can lead to problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.