Cactus Pads

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I grow cactus in pots and planted in the ground. The in the ground do better than the potted ones.But I have one type that does very good when potted and fantastic when planted in the ground. Here are 3 of the potted plants ,2 are in concrete planters and the last is in a plastic pot.View attachment 241037 View attachment 241039 View attachment 241038 The last pic is some planted in the ground.View attachment 241040 During the last very cold and wet winter in the Wash DC area I only lost one complete plant. Had some damage to a few other types though. The type in the pics are not spineless but I'm getting 8 to 10 inch new growth pads that don't haves spines yet for Walker my sulcata.to eat. @Tom, I Believe everything I grow here would grow where you are but you may need to water them doing your growing season for them to thrive.And @Tricia Stringer, when your out and about keep a lookout for cactus growing in your area and if you see some just ask for a pad or 2. That is how I got most of my different types.
Please please share mine died in ground over winter as mild as it was. Have you tried indoor greenhouse style cause I’m considering it for other plants.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Please please share mine died in ground over winter as mild as it was. Have you tried indoor greenhouse style cause I’m considering it for other plants.
When i had some of the tender cactus that I knew wouldn't survive outside during winter I would bring them in. They didn't do much in that time but they lived. I didn't use artificial lighting, just what came through the window.I have found several different opuntia including spineless that do fine in our winter weather so I no longer experiment with the more tender types.If you ever want to visit Colonial Beach VA. I will give you all the hardy cactus you want.

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
I grow cactus in pots and planted in the ground. The in the ground do better than the potted ones.But I have one type that does very good when potted and fantastic when planted in the ground. Here are 3 of the potted plants ,2 are in concrete planters and the last is in a plastic pot.View attachment 241037 View attachment 241039 View attachment 241038 The last pic is some planted in the ground.View attachment 241040 During the last very cold and wet winter in the Wash DC area I only lost one complete plant. Had some damage to a few other types though. The type in the pics are not spineless but I'm getting 8 to 10 inch new growth pads that don't haves spines yet for Walker my sulcata.to eat. @Tom, I Believe everything I grow here would grow where you are but you may need to water them doing your growing season for them to thrive.And @Tricia Stringer, when your out and about keep a lookout for cactus growing in your area and if you see some just ask for a pad or 2. That is how I got most of my different types.

You have some nice ones! Wish my parents hadn’t dug up the ones that I planted as a kid.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You have some nice ones! Wish my parents hadn’t dug up the ones that I planted as a kid.
Thanks, i still have some plants that started from my first cactus that I found on the beach at Cove Pt. Maryland in 1965. I didn't realize until about 20 years ago that there were others that I could grow outside up here and leave outside during winter.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I was trying to burn them off with a lighter but it didn’t really seem to work. Intended up cutting them off it just took a while. What did you use to burn them off?
One of those long lighters for lighting the grill.