Caesar went to the Vet

Rachel Sobran

I took my Russian, Caesar, to the vet on Wednesday & it turns out he has respiratory problems & protozoans. He went to the Odd Pet Vet & had to be force-fed his medicine for the protozoans. Caesar went very deep in his shell & peed on the vet (wow! liquid pee! that's a first!). The vet then gave him an injection for the respiratory issue & gave us 10 syringes to give to him every 3 days (1 syringe every 3 days). He did not say what the medicine was, but now Caesar is acting strangely. Caesar almost never uses his water & now he is. He also is eating more & he produced a weird almost transparent liquid (I did not see where it came out of) that looks like his pee but gooier & lighter colored. I cannot enclose a picture because I cleaned it up. Could this just be weirdly colored pee?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The protozoans are dying and coming out in the transparent liquid.

The antibiotic is pretty harsh on a tortoise's system. He's staying in the water to help flush it out of him.

Rachel Sobran

Oh, thanks!
20150416_181855.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Can't see the picture, but hope that Caesar makes a speedy recovery.
Spending time in the water is always a good thing.
Eating more is also a good sign.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
WIN_20150216_191704.JPG WIN_20150216_191744.JPG WIN_20150401_111444 (2).JPG WIN_20150401_111456 (2).JPG
Her beak is a bit long in these but has been trimmed since.
On this last photo, at the top towards the right, you can see the yellowish scute that has regrown different to the others after it was cut out.
She has slight pyramiding, but is growing fine, now. she's also a bit dry and swollen here, took these when I joined, she's fine now, must take some new photos.
i love my girl.
To others watching and thinking I've hijacked the thread, these photos were requested.by the OP.
Thanks, Rachel.

Rachel Sobran

adorable!!! I love her so much!!! beautiful carapace & plastron. her scutes are so pretty!!! I think I can see where the scute was cut off