Cage ideas?

yillt

Hi, when Billy comes out of hibernation I give him a new cage, usually every couple of years. This year he needs an upgrade and I'm looking for something big enough to accommodate a 5 year old Marginated tortoise. But, it has to be relatively cheap (I understand there is only so much you can save if you want a good cage.) And it also has to fit in my small bedroom. I don't mind how much space it takes up but nothing awkwardly shaped. Any ideas? I was thinking of a rubber maid but they are all quite small. Also, I live in the UK. Thank you

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
I don't know what humidity they need, but for an open enclosure can you just put a liner down and then fence off that area of the room where the liner is? Then you could make it whatever configuration and dimensions you want for really cheap. Just a thought. If you need a closed chamber then I don't know.

yillt

I don't know what humidity they need, but for an open enclosure can you just put a liner down and then fence off that area of the room where the liner is? Then you could make it whatever configuration and dimensions you want for really cheap. Just a thought. If you need a closed chamber then I don't know.
That is a great idea and I did consider it. I just couldn't think what you corner it off with. I was thinking breeze blocks but they're a bit ugly planted in the middle of the room. Do you have any ideas?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
That is a great idea and I did consider it. I just couldn't think what you corner it off with. I was thinking breeze blocks but they're a bit ugly planted in the middle of the room. Do you have any ideas?

I was actually thinking of more of a white picket fence, which would be super cute!!! You should be able to find some at a hardware store. And if you put the enclosure against a wall, you wouldn't have to buy as much.

Less aesthetic options would be wire fencing, like you would find used for a dog crate. Or chicken wire, or plastic siding, like is used for a greenhouse - but you could paint it and make it cute. I would go to a large hardware store, tell them what you're up to, and see what options they have. :)

yillt

I was actually thinking of more of a white picket fence, which would be super cute!!! You should be able to find some at a hardware store. And if you put the enclosure against a wall, you wouldn't have to buy as much.

Less aesthetic options would be wire fencing, like you would find used for a dog crate. Or chicken wire, or plastic siding, like is used for a greenhouse - but you could paint it and make it cute. I would go to a large hardware store, tell them what you're up to, and see what options they have. :)
I've been looking for a white picket fence everywhere but they're either to big or tiny. Do you have any ideas where I could get one?

yillt

Hi again. I was just wondering if this would be suitable? It's 7 feet by 2 feet. Keeping in mind that Billy is only about 8 inches long. (His carpace.)

Attachments

• 1485198561270.jpg
    1485198561270.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 15

yillt

I was wondering whether this 7 foot by 2 foot cage is suitable for an 8 inch Marginated? I can provide a lid for humidity but except that, does this look OK?

Attachments

• 1485200743412.jpg
    1485200743412.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I don't think this is a good tortoise enclosure as it is an open cage. Putting a lid on it wont keep in the humidity if it has no walls.

BILBO-03

I think it looks fine ! Does he still need humidity? Or is he a adult ?

Souptugo

5 Year Member
I think it's fine as well. You could wrap the surrounding mesh with a tarp before putting the inner insert in. I think if you are misting and mixing the substrate daily humidity should be fine.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I think it could work, I would just be afraid that he could climb out using the walls. My tortoise will climb anything she can find! Other than that I think it's perfect.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Are you able to keep the room that your tortoise in very warm? I'm still worried about the suitability. The size seems nice though.