Calcium and Vitamins

Status
Not open for further replies.

me1issa08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hello!

I am very new to Tortoises. I have seen these two things mentioned in the forums.

Calcium and Vitamins

I am wondering:
Are these things necessary to keep my baby Hermann's healthy? (5 months or so old)
If so, what are the recommended dosages?

If the vitamins aren't necessary, I will take them back. I haven't opened anything. Though I'm pretty sure the calcium is a keeper.

IMG_2491.jpg

Thanks for your help!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yep, definitely need a powder consisting of calcium carbonate, vitamin D3, and beta-carotene. In the wild they would get these by eating plants growing on rich soils, and by eating snails from time to time. Foods in captivity are often lacking in these nutrients, so they must be supplemented. Also, indoor torts don't get as much sunshine as they need, so a vitamin D3 supplement helps compensate for that. If captive turtles don't get these nutrients, then they will likely grow with deformities of the skeleton, including the head, limbs, and shell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum. There has been much discussion about these and its really a matter of opinion. Some people use a lot and frequently and produce healthy tortoises. Some people use hardly any or none and they also produce healthy tortoises. To some degree, it depends on their diet age, and housing situation.

I like and use both of those brands and have for many years. I use the vitamins once a week in a small amount and I use the calcium two or three times a week for babies. I just sprinkle a little of the powder over their food. All of my torts get a very varied diet and lots of sunshine. I supplement the adults a lot less.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
My tortoises have a calcium source available at all times for them to consume on their own. I have never put it on their food. Calcium is definitely an essential supplement necessary in different quantities during different stages of growth and with egg bearing females. I have found that any of my younger tortoises and females consume different amounts at different times which is why I do not place it on their food and allow them to control when and how much they require at any given time.
I've never used vitamin supplements, but instead feed a high quality, varied diet.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I agree with everything that has been mentioned. I asked my vet about supplementing the calcuim and he said it was not necessary because I was feeding a great deal of foods with calcium in it. Most tort foods have the vitamins and calcium built in as well as your fruits and veggies. Just a matter of who you ask.

If you have them and know how to use them safely...then use them.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The typical dosage for calcium is not super easy to calculate- it is 1.3 to 8mg of calcium per Calorie (Kcal) of food. The daily Calorie need is 'weight in kilograms' to the 0.75th power, times 72. There is a chart at http://tortoiselibrary.com/nutguide.html so you don't need to do the math yourself.

The next question is how much calcium is in the food you are offering? That takes a bit of research, but there are lots of sites that list nutritional values!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I feel better about sprinkling pure calcium over the food, but I feed more of a grocery diet (although varied and organic). I would not use D3 as I have a MVB for UVB (same if your tort got sun). Opinions really vary. I'd never use fat soluble vitamins because I believe in feeding a good diet and worry about overdoing it. Torts have a low nutrient diet in the wild, remember. So...I'd exchange the calcium with D3 to a pure one (you can even get it at a human store, for cheaper), and return the vitamins. I'd do the pure calcium daily for a hatchling/yearling. What you sprinkle vs. what makes it into the tummy widely varies anyways. Do some reading to see what viewpoint you want to take though.

I also like an all natural supplement called Total Nutrition for Tortoises, from Carolina Pet Supply. Its a green powder of ground up weeds and such--stuff that I don't feed. You can't overdo it as its all natural, so it can only add to the diet. My tort even seems to like the taste of it on wet greens. The amount I bought a few years ago has barely had a dent in it, so although their prices + shipping are high, I think its a high value. It likely diminishes a bit over the years, but not enough for me to want to replace it yet. Now that my tort is closer to three years, I alternate calcium and TNT days. The TNT is also high in calcium, same with a lot of foods like calcium. I think the light calcium sprinkling takes the calculations and such out of it.

radhika

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
My tortoises have a calcium source available at all times for them to consume on their own. I have never put it on their food. Calcium is definitely an essential supplement necessary in different quantities during different stages of growth and with egg bearing females. I have found that any of my younger tortoises and females consume different amounts at different times which is why I do not place it on their food and allow them to control when and how much they require at any given time.
I've never used vitamin supplements, but instead feed a high quality, varied diet.

I am having Indian Star and I want to know what all natural food can I give her to maintain proper balance in her diet can you please suggest me some. :( :tort:

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
For my juvenile leopards, I offer calcium carbonate free choice. It's set up like a mineral lick, and is up a ramp. Mine eat a tremendous amount, and actively seek it out several times a day. I don't supplement vitamins at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.