Calcium for grazers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
Hi ,
I have two torts that graze in my yard on grassed, flowers and plants. How do I get the calcium into their diet?

How do wild torts get Ca into their diet?

Thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

In the wild they might access dead things and crunch on the bones. They also would eat a much better/varied diet then what we feed them. I think we need to supplement our captive animals. I sprinkle TNT and calcium over whatever greens I'm feeding Bob. He is a Sulcata who lives in my yard.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Depending on where you live, the grasses and weeds can have calcium, among other vitamins and minerals. My understanding is that the grasses in the grass lands of Africa will be higher in calcium than they would in the Seattle area (where i live). So I offer cuttlebone and also some Calc powder (plain old calc carbonate). You don't want the kind with D3 added, as the natural sunshine and UVB bulbs should take care of that and you don't want them to OD on it...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
chadk said:
Depending on where you live, the grasses and weeds can have calcium, among other vitamins and minerals. My understanding is that the grasses in the grass lands of Africa will be higher in calcium than they would in the Seattle area (where i live). So I offer cuttlebone and also some Calc powder (plain old calc carbonate). You don't want the kind with D3 added, as the natural sunshine and UVB bulbs should take care of that and you don't want them to OD on it...
You can also add calcium in the form of lime (not bonemeal) to the soil- most of a plant's nutrient levels come from the soils they are raised in. I thought I had read that you can just sprinkle it on lightly and water it in, and repeat several light applications, or spade/aereate in heavier 'doses'.

Status
Not open for further replies.