Calcium for Russian Tort

jgbutler

Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, LA
I've looked through some of the threads on here about calcium supplements for our young Russian Tort and I can't find exactly what I need. I have Repti Calcium powder on her food a few times per week, but do I also need to add a cuttle bone to her tank, too?

Russian Rehab

ma
what i have read is that it is a good idea to do both. Calcium powder is excellent because you can put it directly on the food and know that your tort is ingesting it. The cuttle bone gives a second calcium source and has the added benefit of helping to trim your torts beak as he nibbles. My tort actually ignores his bone all together because hes a butt. but your tort may be more cooperative than mine lol

Reactions: JBF

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
You don't really need to buy a separate calcium supplement. A cuttlefish bone in your enclosure is enough. Use your finger and scrap some material from the cuttlefish bone and sprinkle that on top of the food you give to your tortoise. Replace cuttlefish bones when needed.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
what i have read is that it is a good idea to do both. Calcium powder is excellent because you can put it directly on the food and know that your tort is ingesting it. The cuttle bone gives a second calcium source and has the added benefit of helping to trim your torts beak as he nibbles. My tort actually ignores his bone all together because hes a butt. but your tort may be more cooperative than mine lol

My male is the SAME way. "You bought that? haha jokes on you" lol.