Calcium Powder? Can it be over-done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theamazingphil

5 Year Member
So heres the story, both of my redfoots(Cheezepuff, 1 yr. And Cherrybomb, 6-7yrs), have access to UV light as well as daily calcium supplementation on their food.

My concern is that i may be offering calcium supplements to often, is that possible?

Cheers
-Phil.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California, central coast
I think it can be too much of a 'good' thing. I have a small dish of calcium for my sully in his enclosure. I've noticed he's 'camping' out there alot recently. So I take it out every other day. I read it can make them constipated.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Man are you opening a "CAN-OF-WORMS"!
36_20_2.gif

"Most" of those that I know.. 'long-term' redfoot tortoise keepers.. let their habitats and diets do the 'supplementing' for them! But I'm not speaking for them.

Hopefully this doesn't attract a lot of 'short-term/internet researched' opinions.. so here goes.

The only "add-on" 'supplement' I use is Calcium carbonate powder.. sprinkled on the re-hydrated catfood that is fed to the 6+" ( and up ) ones. And that is mainly for the females to supplement their "loss" from laying eggs.

Mine are usually able to be outside under the natural sun ( which they virtually hide from during daylight hours about 70% of the time ) so they are never supplemented 8 months out of the year. [ since the "jury" is still out on the UVB 'requirement' needs.. in relation to calcium absorption ] My experience has shown that the "winter" diet is especially vital. Highest calcium greens and mushrooms is their diet.. with the calcium on the catfood about every 8-10 days. [ I have never used UVB indoors ]

Phil.. some say calcium carbonate is 'water-soluable' which washes right thru so you can't O.D. [ I use it sparingly ] You've just read my story....

NERD

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i know for a fact you can overdose a tortoise on supplements. thats why i stopped using them, and switched to Mazuri tortoise food. now, i will never worry about overdosing. :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I give mine calcium (pure, no D3) once a week (dusted on the fruit). When you say UV are you talking of UVB ? I don't use it as I believe being a forest type tort they get a limited amount of direct daylight (1% to 3% of direct daylight) and receive most D3 from the protein portion of the diet.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
You cannot overdose Ca. What the body does not use, is passed in the urine like Terry said. That is why if a tortoise or turtle doesn't have enough in blood on a day to day basis, their bodies leach it from their shells and bones. In babies this shows up rather rapidly as "soft shell" in adults, bone breakages etc can appear from it.

Calcium is not stored in the body for later use except in bone and shell tissue. For a growing animal, I dust their food with PURE Ca (NO d3 or phosphorus) at every single feeding. "Growing" in my book is up to the three year mark. After three, I will go to every other day of dusting. Adults, once a week. Egg laying females need more though, so they would be the exception to the rule and I would dust 2-3 times a week to keep levels high enough for healthy production.

Just my care practices, as always. :)

theamazingphil

5 Year Member
All the replies are much appreciated!

Im gonna do some more reading and cross referencing before I come to my final conclusions, but all of your opinions and experiences were fantastic.

In the last few weeks ive actually been able to let the torts roam on my balcony(small apartment, morning direct sunshine), and they LOVE IT! I put a ramp down the step and they wander from my living room(where they roam alot of the day when im home after breakfast) onto the balcony and pace around and people watch :). As for all this talk of Redfoots disliking the bright sun, and being reclusive, ive NEVER seen these behaviors in my RFs, except with Cherrybomb when i first got her, but i assume that was due to her previous abuse. CHeezepuff has a UVB light as well as a Spotlamp and hes up and about from the minute the lights come on 'til after theyve gone out. And Cherrybomb is the same way, strange!

Anyways, thanks again for all the help, ill report back soon with an update and pictures :)

Cheers
-Phil.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Meg said it perfectly! I actually cut back on the Mazuri/Grassland Diet to 1-2 pellets a week for my yearling because I disagree with the supplements in it, lol. I only do pure calcium with a varied diet + TNT when I remember.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
tortoisenerd said:
I only do pure calcium with a varied diet + TNT when I remember.

Me too.
I leave cuttlebone in his enclosure and I offer him a dish of calcium powder for him to regulate his own intake.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I don't know if mine would ever eat the calcium on his own since I haven't given him the chance except maybe a week off at a time when on vacation to make it easier for the sitter (with the daily supplementation he never touches the cuttlebone except to walk over it).

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Nelson only started nibbling on his cuttlebone after I held it in front of him- he sniffed it and took a few bites :) He likes it much better now that I broke it into small pieces.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Constant access to calcium is fine as long as tortoises have access to drinking water on a regular basis, regardless of how you choose to do it. I have never put calcium powder (or any vitamins) directly on their foods but offer a good variety of food sources, many of which are high in calcium content. Along with that all of mine, depending upon size are offered calcium carbonate seperately. All of them have cuttlebone pieces available at all times, broken to appropriate size based on the size of the tortoises. Small pieces for small tortoises, whole pieces for larger animals. Very small tortoises, under 3" or so also have a shallow bowl of calcium carbonate powder availabe at all times. Many of the smaller tortoises find it easier to consume the powder rather than cuttlebone pieces. I actually spray the cuttlebone and powder with water on a regular basis to make it easier for them to consume.

Status
Not open for further replies.