Does my Redfoot have a skin condition?

Sixx_and_Rosie

5 Year Member
Hi all! Can I get your thoughts on my Redfoot’s neck and head? I’ve been keeping an eye on it for about a month now, thinking maybe her skin was just dry, but I feel like there is no way it’s dryness! For context, I live in Louisiana and Rosie has an outdoor enclosure (I’ll attach a pic for reference). Most of the time, the humidity is high enough without me doing anything (for example, right now it’s 93% humidity); however, she does have a huge water dish for free drinking/soaking, and I give the enclosure a good watering daily.

There are no spots on her shell or other oddities - just this one spot on her neck with a sort of patchiness and ashy-ness (also posting a pic for reference), and the back scales of her head look a bit ashy. Have any of you seen this before? Is it some kind of fungus? I thought it couldn’t be, since her shell is fine but please let me know your thoughts!

I thought at one point maybe she was sticking her head through the chain link and causing a little raw spot? But she doesn’t really stick her head through it, that I’ve seen anyway. Also just to note - she used to be in a raised bed made of landscape timbers, but then 20+ raccoons invaded our area, and I saw some of them trying to make a meal out of a slider turtle in the yard, so that’s why she’s in a full chain link enclosure. I’d be devastated if the raccoons got to her.

Anyway, please let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 537FF6EE-4937-4C92-8DDE-72F255A62476.jpeg
    537FF6EE-4937-4C92-8DDE-72F255A62476.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 121B92C6-5EBE-4C0D-BCA8-163F10DFC269.jpeg
    121B92C6-5EBE-4C0D-BCA8-163F10DFC269.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • B8F8FF89-9979-493B-9149-549CA075679C.jpeg
    B8F8FF89-9979-493B-9149-549CA075679C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • D3E052DE-5A8A-472B-A096-5DE160570F41.jpeg
    D3E052DE-5A8A-472B-A096-5DE160570F41.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2

Sixx_and_Rosie

5 Year Member
Sorry guys I should add - the white-ish mark on her shell on the left side is the result of her bulldozer-ing around a concrete tortoise statue that I had in her enclosure. I think she scraped against it and wore a spot on her shell out, but I’ve since removed the statue! No more ‘husband’ for Rosie lol

Sixx_and_Rosie

5 Year Member
Hello!
I see nothing concerning (disclaimer: I am not very experienced!). These can be stains from hard soaking water. And on the top of the neck - some scrubbing of the top shell edge.
Hey, thanks so much for your response! I wondered about that being a little ‘wear’ spot from the top shell edge, so I appreciate the comment. It could definitely be that, but I’m so relieved that no one else seems concerned! :)

Sixx_and_Rosie

5 Year Member
That Redfoot looks petfectly normal to me. Mine also live outside and I've seen similar things.
You're doing fine.
PHEW! Thank you so much for the stamp of approval. I was a very worried tort mom 😅 I’ve had her for 8 years with no issues, so I was really racking my brain trying to figure out what went wrong. Glad to hear a few other keepers aren’t concerned!

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hey, thanks so much for your response! I wondered about that being a little ‘wear’ spot from the top shell edge, so I appreciate the comment. It could definitely be that, but I’m so relieved that no one else seems concerned! :)
You are always welcome! And the enclosure looks very nice, by the way. I would add some planks or garden bed borders along the bottom to prevent her from potentially injuring herself with a chain link.